Thread: Using Shared Parameters in Filters

Login to Give a bone

Default Using Shared Parameters in Filters

We've come up with a really nice way to add parameters to our doors so the Electrical engineer can better coordinate things like Automatic Openers, Card Readers, and Hold Opens (our list is growing beyond a dozen)
    I'm about to add every one of these parameters to every one of our door families. However, in the testing phase, I figured I'd better make some Filters that used those parameters to see how well they worked. Imagine my surprise when I found out that even though I added the Shared Parameters to each Door Family, I can't use that Shared Parameter in a Filter.

Do I have to add all of these Shared Parameters as Project Parameters in addition to adding them to each door? And if that's the case, is there even any point in adding them to the Families? Seems like just adding them as Project Parameters would not only work, but also be a whole lot less work.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using Shared Parameters in Filters

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Do I have to add all of these Shared Parameters as Project Parameters in addition to adding them to each door? And if that's the case, is there even any point in adding them to the Families? Seems like just adding them as Project Parameters would not only work, but also be a whole lot less work.
    A View Filter cannot use parameters that are just in the family, except for the hard-waired ones Revit builds into a family, and I suspect they are essentially, some sort of super shared parameter, that may also be built into projects as well. Personally, I'd add those parameters to the Project (and Templates) and be done with it. Adding them to families, is extra work, and the only benefit, is to make the families harder for another firm to ever try to use, without some extensive work. Using custom made Assemble Codes is easier to protect the families.