Thread: Xrefs causing a slow open

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Xrefs causing a slow open

When some of the users in our network open some drawing files (such as Views and Sheets) through Project Navigator, it takes the file more than two minutes to open. After looking at their text window, I noticed that all xref files are needing to be resolved. The constructs and Elements open relatively quickly. This is what displays when opening a view:

Opening an AutoCAD 2007 format file.

Resolve Xref "2008.54-08054 FLP1 DEMO": ..\Views\Plans\DP-Demolition
    Plans\2008.54-08054 FLP1 DEMO.dwg
    "2008.54-08054 FLP1 DEMO" loaded: X:\Projects\XXXXXXX\2008.54
    Curtainwall Replacement\ConstDoc\Views\Plans\DP-Demolition Plans\2008.54-08054
    FLP1 DEMO.dwg
    "2008.54-08054 FLP1 DEMO" reference file may have changed since host drawing
    was last saved.

Resolve Xref "2008.54-Z-01 SPACES": ..\Constructs\Existing\2008.54-Z-01
    SPACES.dwg
    "2008.54-Z-01 SPACES" loaded: X:\Projects\XXXXXXX\2008.54 Curtainwall
    Replacement\ConstDoc\Constructs\Existing\2008.54-Z-01 SPACES.dwg
    "2008.54-Z-01 SPACES" reference file may have changed since host drawing was
    last saved.

Xref "2008.54-X-STRIPING-COMP BASKETBALL":
    ..\..\Elements\2008.54-X-STRIPING-COMP BASKETBALL.dwg
    "2008.54-X-STRIPING-COMP BASKETBALL" is unloaded.

Resolve Xref "2008.54-Z-FL1 EXISTING BUILDING":
    ..\Constructs\Existing\2008.54-Z-FL1 EXISTING BUILDING.dwg
    "2008.54-Z-FL1 EXISTING BUILDING" loaded: X:\Projects\XXXXXXX\2008.54
    Curtainwall Replacement\ConstDoc\Constructs\Existing\2008.54-Z-FL1 EXISTING
    BUILDING.dwg
    "2008.54-Z-FL1 EXISTING BUILDING" reference file may have changed since host
    drawing was last saved.

Resolve Xref "X-GYM BLEACHER": X:\projects\XXXXXXX\2007.31.200
    gymnasium addition\constdoc\Elements\Resources\X-GYM BLEACHER.dwg
    "X-GYM BLEACHER" loaded.

Resolve Xref "2008.54-X-STRIPING-PE BASKETBALL":
    ..\Elements\2008.54-X-STRIPING-PE BASKETBALL.dwg
    "2008.54-X-STRIPING-PE BASKETBALL" loaded: X:\Projects\XXXXXXX\2008.54
    Curtainwall Replacement\ConstDoc\Elements\2008.54-X-STRIPING-PE BASKETBALL.dwg
    "2008.54-X-STRIPING-PE BASKETBALL" reference file may have changed since host
    drawing was last saved.

Resolve Xref "2008.54-X- KEYPLAN": ..\Elements\2008.54-X- KEYPLAN.dwg
    "2008.54-X- KEYPLAN" loaded: X:\Projects\XXXXXXX\2008.54 Curtainwall
    Replacement\ConstDoc\Elements\2008.54-X- KEYPLAN.dwg
    Regenerating layout.
    Regenerating model.
    Press ENTER to continue:
    AutoCAD Express Tools Copyright ?2002-2004 Autodesk, Inc.

AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.
    AutoCAD Architecture menu utilities loaded.

Autodesk DWG. This file is a TrustedDWG last saved by an Autodesk application
    or Autodesk licensed application.

Command:

All xrefs are pathed to be relative. I replaced the client name with the XXXXXXX.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Xrefs causing a slow open

I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to let you know that my text window shows all my Xrefs to be resolved also. My views only take about 3 seconds to open, though. I don't think that's your issue.

Login to Give a bone

So if it is not the xrefs causing the slow opening, then what could it be. We are running two separate servers (one for each office). Anytime I make changes to one, I overwrite the other and verify that everything is pathed to that office's server. I can't figure out what is going on. One office is running okay while the other is taking 2 minutes to open files.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tra1133 View Post
    So if it is not the xrefs causing the slow opening, then what could it be. We are running two separate servers (one for each office). Anytime I make changes to one, I overwrite the other and verify that everything is pathed to that office's server. I can't figure out what is going on. One office is running okay while the other is taking 2 minutes to open files.
    It sounds like there is something that CAD is looking for, but can't find. I bet it has something to do with running 2 servers. Have you tried running filemon? It will tell you if there are files and shortcuts, etc. that are pathed incorrectly so they can't be found. It could be a million things. Do you use standards? Is that drawing pathed correctly? What about printers? If those are pathed wrong or you have extra printers listed that cad can't find, it could cause a delay.

Login to Give a bone

We don't have a choice on the 2 server issue. We have a dedicated T1 line between the offices and the only CAD item shared directly are the licenses (they are all on one server). We are running standards and anytime one is updated the other office is updated. If any file that references the standards in our templates is updated, the standards file is updated at the same time I copy it to the other server. I have even gone in and updated location files for tool palettes. I received possible solutions from our reseller, but none of those have helped (i.e. no floating tool palettes, removed any unused or old network maps). Haven't run filemon yet, but hopefully someone has an idea.

Login to Give a bone

Well, it's got me stumped. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I'm sure someone in here can offer some other suggestions.

Login to Give a bone

I think we have resolved this. I found a blog (don't remember where) that said the anti-virus should be turned off. I got our IT guy to stop the av software from performing a scan on dwg, dwf, dwt, and dws files. Apparently since PN is constantly updating the dwg files that are xref'd within a drawing file or any file that is saved by any user on the project, the anti-virus software was kicking in to run a quick scan on the file(s) affected. Once we did this, we noticed a big improvement on the speed of open, close, and save. We still have a small speed issue with some networked users while performing commands in our satellite office, but they have seen enough improvement that they aren't complaining as much (still can't figure out their speed issue). Hope this helps people.