Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to automatically fill in & update "Drawing #" attribute using filename

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default How to automatically fill in & update "Drawing #" attribute using filename

I use sheet sets to automatically fill in and update sheet number and total number of sheets in my title block with attributes. I also have an attribute in the title block for drawing number and the filename has the drawing number (ex: G-649-03 M-101.dwg, M-101 is the drawing number).

Is there a way to automatically fill in and update the drawing number attribute in title block by using part of the filename?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to automatically fill in & update "Drawing #" attribute using filename

Please note that I've moved this thread from the AutoLISP forum since it probably will not require code to do what you desire.

Why are you not using the sheet set's sheet number property in the field? I presume the sheet number in the SSM palette has the correct sheet number and there is no need to parse the filename.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to automatically fill in & update "Drawing #" attribute using filename

Robert,

I am already using the sheet number property to update the sheet number and total sheets in the title block, as I said in the first post, although I didn't use the term "property".

I would like to Autocad to update the sheet number, total number of sheets and drawing number. I already know how to update the sheet number and total number of sheets.

How can I update drawing number automatically?

I think it should be moved back to the lisp forum.

Login to Give a bone

You update the sheet number, e.g. E2.1 by editing the property in the sheet in the SSM palette. The field will update automatically upon regen or plot, depending on the setting of FieldEval.

I don't understand in your original post why you are even thinking of looking at the filename. The sheet itself in the SSM is what needs to be used, not the filename.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

Robert,

You are not understanding what I need and I may not be explaining it very well.

In the SSM palette each sheet has a "Number" property. I am using that property to fill in the sheet numer (ex: sheet 3 of 12). I also have a custom sheet set property that has the total number of sheets, to automatically fill in total number of sheets (which would be 12 in my previous statement).

I also have drawing numbers on my sheets (ex: A-102), I am trying to update the drawing numbers without using the number property because I use that for actual sheet number.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by boesiii View Post
    Robert,

You are not understanding what I need and I may not be explaining it very well.

In the SSM palette each sheet has a "Number" property. I am using that property to fill in the sheet numer (ex: sheet 3 of 12). I also have a custom sheet set property that has the total number of sheets, to automatically fill in total number of sheets (which would be 12 in my previous statement).

I also have drawing numbers on my sheets (ex: A-102), I am trying to update the drawing numbers without using the number property because I use that for actual sheet number.
    I think you need to approach it a little differently.

You should be using the sheet number as the number, instead of a sheet count. this way, in your SSM, your sheet list is showing your sheet numbers as "A-##" instead of 1, 2, 3...

then, you need someone to write you a code to determine a total sheet count, and each sheets individual count "number". that part I have no Idea how to do.

why not just remove the "1 of 20" part? your sheet list index should be enough on your cover sheet. too much information can be just as bad as not enough.

Login to Give a bone

Oddly enough, I just ran into a similar scenario with a client required border this morning. There are attributes for Drawing Number, Sheet Number, and Total Number of Sheets. My sheet numbers are broken by discipline, (General, Civil, Geotech, etc). sinde that's what I want to see in the Index, I used C101 etc for Sheet Number, and set up a custom sheet property for Sheetcount (e.g. Sheet number), and a custom SheetSetProperty for TotalSheetCount.

Not all that slick, but it works. and the border shows

C101
    Sheet 3 of 19

Login to Give a bone

Cadtag,

Did you set a custom property for each sheet for sheet count number? To edit the property would you have to edit each individual sheet?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Oddly enough, I just ran into a similar scenario with a client required border this morning. There are attributes for Drawing Number, Sheet Number, and Total Number of Sheets. My sheet numbers are broken by discipline, (General, Civil, Geotech, etc). sinde that's what I want to see in the Index, I used C101 etc for Sheet Number, and set up a custom sheet property for Sheetcount (e.g. Sheet number), and a custom SheetSetProperty for TotalSheetCount.

Not all that slick, but it works. and the border shows

C101
    Sheet 3 of 19
    Both of you should download my last SSM class for AU2006 (?) from AU Online. The code in that class automatically handles indexing of sheets, e.g. 1 of 12.

boesiii, I apologize if I lead you down a wrong trail. Your description of the issue in the text of the post did not mention an indexing attribute, i.e. X of N. If you had posted a .png screenshot of the titleblock instead of just the titleblock, I might have been of more use immediately.

Fair warning, the code in the class handout is advanced.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

Robert,

I meant to post a screen shot but I never got around to it. I will check out your AU class.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast