Thread: using degrees instead of pitch

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default using degrees instead of pitch

I am attempting to create a roof who's slope is 20 degrees. Revit's default is a 9/12 pitch. How can I change this to degrees or do I have to do the math and determine what pitch a 20 degree slope is?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: using degrees instead of pitch

Settings>Project Units

You can set the slopes to use any one of a number of systems used to define slope.

Login to Give a bone

hmm that's odd. On our machines, Revit always defaults to a 30 degree slope, which ends up showing up as 6 119/128" / 12" slope.

Login to Give a bone

I have a desired roof slope of 15.75 degrees (an existing roof that is getting a remodel). When I enter 15.75 into the roof slope, Revit translates it to 15.75:12, resulting in 52.7 degrees. Entering it as 15.75% is incorrect... so what character do you need to enter to get Revit to understand that you're entering a degree value, and not a ratio or percentage value? Or do I need to just convert 15.75 degrees to a percentage first, and then enter that? That seems redundant?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jbernier373584 View Post
    I have a desired roof slope of 15.75 degrees (an existing roof that is getting a remodel). When I enter 15.75 into the roof slope, Revit translates it to 15.75:12, resulting in 52.7 degrees. Entering it as 15.75% is incorrect... so what character do you need to enter to get Revit to understand that you're entering a degree value, and not a ratio or percentage value? Or do I need to just convert 15.75 degrees to a percentage first, and then enter that? That seems redundant?
    I don't work in architecture very much (mostly structural) so I don't know the "arch" process, but is it that you are trying to force the roof to a slope/angle or just annotate it?

If it's modeling the roof:
    In structure, we use "floors" for roofs/decks (silly I know) and we have a slope arrow we can use (while sketching the floor in plan) that we assign a (+) or (-) to one end (head or tail) to define the slope.
    So in your case, I would be in a section view or elevation and draw a line representing the roof slope as it would be in the model (usuing your angle), measure the HP or LP from the ref level, whichever you choose and then force that end to that slope in the sketch slope arrow.

Then let Revit annotate the slope how you want usually something over 12 or a percentage.

Or maybe there's an easier way for you to do this, I just don't know, going by my experience with sloped floors.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jbernier373584 View Post
    The units as shown for Slope for roofs will be whatever is set in the Project Units (Manage Tab > Settings Panel > Project Units). Here are the options available:

Slope Unit options.jpg

We typically have this set to "Rise / 12 inches", so I was thrown off when a recent project was set to Degrees. In general, this should be set in your template to the units you reference most frequently for roof, ceiling and floor slopes. Based on the test I just ran, the project units can be set to whatever you want but you can type in a different unit to get the right slope. Specifically, you can type "15.75°" to set that degree angle for your roof. To get the degree symbol (°), hold down the <ALT> key and type "0176".

---------------------------------------------

Additional thoughts: If you're concerned about dimensions and slope arrows, etc. these can be configured in their Type settings to use any of the unit options, so you can document as you need to. For example, for slope arrows on walking surfaces, we will often reference the % since that is how the code dictates maximums. For angle dimensions, those will be set to Degrees.