Thread: Different scaled dimensions in different layouts Autocad 2009

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Different scaled dimensions in different layouts Autocad 2009

For example:
    I have 2 or more view ports in layout (paper space) each has been Zoom XP to a different scale i.e 1:5 & 1:10

I am looking for a simple way to make both dimensions look the same size across different viewports.

I prefer to dimension in model space so I don’t want to go into the pros & cons of whether it is best to dimension in paper space as opposed to model space.

Below I have outlined what I have currently been doing to make the dimension thing work so as to avoid unnecessary responses that tell me what I am already doing, so to speak.

I create two dimension scales. For example I would call the first ‘Dim style 1:5’ & the second ‘Dim style 1:10’. For each of these dim styles under the Fit tab within the dimension style dialog box under “scale for dimension features” I would set the scale to 1. Also under the Text tab under “text appearance” I would multiply my text height i.e. 3 by the intended scale to be used in the layout viewport. So for 1:5 scale that would be 15 and 1:10 scale that would be 30.

I would also create two additional layers dedicated for use only with those dimensions, also named in a similar way to avoid confusion. When in paper space I would freeze the layer I didn’t want visible

I am also aware that you can change individual dimensions instead of making a specific dimension style as mentioned above. To do this you select the dimension string, double click and bring up its properties dialog box. You can change the dimension under ‘Fit’ which is called ‘Dim scale overall’. Here I would put in 15 or 30 as the respective overrides.

So even though I can get the result I want, it is a bit cumbersome and takes time. I have been researching this for a while for a better method and came across this extract from a forum site. It uses just a single dimension style which is applied to model space through the paper space viewport window.

*One Dimension style with "Scale for dimension features" set to "scale dimensions to layout (paperspace)".
    *Associative dimensioning turned on.
    *Dimension in model through paperspace (double click inside viewport).

It sounds great and just what I want but when implemented it just doesn’t work!!
    What is it I am missing? Some hidden system variable??
    Can someone enlighten me please.

Dave
    Last edited by mcracken; 2008-10-11 at 08:36 AM. Reason: found solution after further research no longer need help thanks anyway

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Different scaled dimensions in different layouts Autocad 2009

That's exactly what annotative dimensions are for have a look in the help file for annotative dimensions.

Login to Give a bone

I think CHSPACE is what you are missing, grab all the dims and type CHSPACE to send them through the viewport If you set dimassoc to 2 then dimension everything in paper space using a single dimension style on a single DIM layer, you can easily send the dims through the viewport using CHSPACE.
    This will autoscale them and all dims will look the same.

Trying to use annotative is frustrating and causes more problems that just working in paper space initially.
    Best of luck
    Signed: A Convert.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mcracken View Post
    *One Dimension style with "Scale for dimension features" set to "scale dimensions to layout (paperspace)".

It sounds great and just what I want but when implemented it just doesn’t work!!

Dave
    If this is the way you want to go (especially if you then use CHSPACE), I'd say ignore this line ^^^ . Dimension in Paperspace by picking geometry points in the viewport but DON'T pick any part of an existing dimension for further dimensioning.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mcracken View Post
    For example:
    I have 2 or more view ports in layout (paper space) each has been Zoom XP to a different scale i.e 1:5 & 1:10

I am looking for a simple way to make both dimensions look the same size across different viewports.

I prefer to dimension in model space so I don’t want to go into the pros & cons of whether it is best to dimension in paper space as opposed to model space.

Below I have outlined what I have currently been doing to make the dimension thing work so as to avoid unnecessary responses that tell me what I am already doing, so to speak.

I create two dimension scales. For example I would call the first ‘Dim style 1:5’ & the second ‘Dim style 1:10’. For each of these dim styles under the Fit tab within the dimension style dialog box under “scale for dimension features” I would set the scale to 1. Also under the Text tab under “text appearance” I would multiply my text height i.e. 3 by the intended scale to be used in the layout viewport. So for 1:5 scale that would be 15 and 1:10 scale that would be 30.

I would also create two additional layers dedicated for use only with those dimensions, also named in a similar way to avoid confusion. When in paper space I would freeze the layer I didn’t want visible

I am also aware that you can change individual dimensions instead of making a specific dimension style as mentioned above. To do this you select the dimension string, double click and bring up its properties dialog box. You can change the dimension under ‘Fit’ which is called ‘Dim scale overall’. Here I would put in 15 or 30 as the respective overrides.

So even though I can get the result I want, it is a bit cumbersome and takes time. I have been researching this for a while for a better method and came across this extract from a forum site. It uses just a single dimension style which is applied to model space through the paper space viewport window.

Dave

You have to change the Annotative option to 'Yes' for each object you want scaled in the various viewports. Then, for Annotative Scale, open the dialogue box by clicking the 3 dots and make sure the scale for each viewport is added. If you have 2 viewports with 5 and 10 scales, make sure the 1:5 and 1:10 scales are both in the annotative scale list.

Let's say I have 3 viewports, scales at 5, 10 and 20. If I have the 5 and 10 scales added to annotative scale list for an object, that object will show up at the scaled height in the 5 and 10 viewports, but won't show up at all in the 20 viewport. Once, the objects are on in the viewports you want them in, place the objects by clicking and dragging the objects in each viewport to the desired positions.

Hope this helps.