Thread: What are "Control Lines" used for?

Login to Give a bone

Question What are "Control Lines" used for?

I am detailing a multi-story hotel with cable tention slabs and I just got a drawing with "Control Lines." Have you ever seen them before? and if so what are they used for?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What are "Control Lines" used for?

Quote Originally Posted by ericp.195710 View Post
    I am detailing a multi-story hotel with cable tention slabs and I just got a drawing with "Control Lines." Have you ever seen them before? and if so what are they used for?
    Welcome to AUGI and congrats on your first post
    The only place I"ve used or seen them is when I'm doing a slab that is HUGE or has different wings at different angles. I'll put a control line down the center, for example, then dimension off of it. That way, in the field, they can find the center of the slab and work from there to place all of there beams, instead of starting at one end. It just makes it easier for them in the field.

Login to Give a bone

So if i was given a drawing with control lines already on there then i should assume that they want me to demention of those control lines?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ericp.195710 View Post
    So if i was given a drawing with control lines already on there then i should assume that they want me to demention of those control lines?
    I'd say yes. That's what I use them for. Of course, I'm just making as assumption here. I'd contact the designer and ask what their intent was.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

It's likely that the control line serves the purpose you described. However, I have used them as temporary guidelines. If the control lines print, and you dimension to them, make sure they are pinned down somewhere on earth. Otherwise, everyone could be using the same control line, but in different locations. If there is another, more obvious, benchmark, I would show dimensions from that.

Login to Give a bone

I have column lines I was using to dimension my floor penetrations, but a lot of the penetrations are set right on top of the column lines making it difficult and sloppy looking to dimension it using the column lines. There are only 3 control lines so my dimension lines will be pretty long if I use them… so I will most likely need to get with the project manager and the engineer or architect and see how they want me to use these lines.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by e.price View Post
    I have column lines I was using to dimension my floor penetrations, but a lot of the penetrations are set right on top of the column lines making it difficult and sloppy looking to dimension it using the column lines. There are only 3 control lines so my dimension lines will be pretty long if I use them… so I will most likely need to get with the project manager and the engineer or architect and see how they want me to use these lines.
    On a lot of projects, "control lines" are dictated by the General Contractor, and indicate what they will provide on the slab. The rest is at your during layout. These lines should be tied into the grid with firm dimensions when you receive them on some sort of document.

Your guys in the field will be able to locate these lines. You can dimension from them, or have your guys locate their own lines, but you should be doubly sure they are precise.

You can create ADDITIONAL control lines on your own drawing based off of these lines to make dimensioning easier (to your sleeves).