Thread: My Ribbon won't show Icons (Button Image)

Login to Give a bone

Default My Ribbon won't show Icons (Button Image)

Hello,

First let me say, I'm an Autodesk idiot. So if you respond, you need to speak really slowly if you catch my drift.

I am using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2009.
    I have a Ribbon, and I managed to add an "Object Snap" Ribbon Panel to my Ribbon tab "Home"

I even managed to creat this little beauty for a little icon of Mid-point between two points.

(Feel Free to Steal it)

But For the Life of me, I can't get any Icons to show up in my actual ribbon. here is the procedure I am using to try to get those to show.

Open CUI
    Customize Tab, pull down menu to "acad.cui"
    Expand the Ribbon Panels
    Expand the Panel in Question "Object Snaps"
    Highlight a command with no icon (One being end point snap)
    When highlighted the Panel Preview show a Iconless ribbon panel
    however the "button Image" shows the correct Icon.
    I then scroll through all the Icons inside the Button Image portion of the screen and Select the correct image. Now the Panel Preview shows correctly.
    However when I hit the apply or Ok button nothing changes on my actual Ribbon Panel, and I still have an Iconless Panel.

When I reopen my CUI and go back to the "Object Snaps" Panel, it once agains show Iconless in the Panel Preview.

Any Ideas on how to fix this? I've had the two CAD guru's at my office look at it, and they are puzzled as well.

Thanks for your time!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: My Ribbon won't show Icons (Button Image)

You may want to read the ACAD General forum for an answer. http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=209
    Not many C3D users use the ribbon.

Login to Give a bone

Okay, thanks man, I will post a link up over there. I honestly wasn't sure what formats autodesk put the ribbon on.

Login to Give a bone

Not sure if you got your answer or not, but I'll post a reply just in case you didn't. The main problem with Civil 3D is that the Civil.cui takes the "Main" CUI position and attaches the ACAD.cui as a partial loaded CUI. Now the way this should work is that with Civil.cui you get your Civil 3D specific commands, toolbars, menus, etc. and the partial loaded ACAD.cui will allow you access to all of the basic AutoCAD commands. Note I said “should work”?

I’m going to take you slightly off subject here for a minute. I’m not real sure why Autodesk did this, I think it was either to try and maintain AutoCAD compatibility back in 2006 when the CUI’s were first introduced or they wanted Civil.cui to completely replace the ACAD.cui (anyone feel free to correct me on this), but for some reason the Civil.cui has a lot (and I mean a lot) of redundant AutoCAD commands in it. If you go to your CUI editor, down in the Command List window, and if you select “Custom” in the drop down list it will filter out all but Civil commands (and any other custom CUI’s you may have attached). Go down the list and you will still see basic AutoCAD commands (OSNAP commands, File Open, File New, MOVE, PAN, ZOOM, etc.), but the Source cui will show as CIVIL, not ACAD.

This is where you may be experiencing your issue. You may be attaching your custom icon to the ACAD.cui version of Midpoint Between Two Points and not the Civil.cui version, which is what Civil 3D will be looking at. For simplicities sake, I would recommend you attach it to both, that way you are totally covered.

You may also need to delete any MNR files (Menu Resource File) in your support folder as well. Doing this will force AutoCAD to rebuild your interface from your current CUI file(s). This is especially true when dealing with Ribbons in Civil 3D. Don’t worry, you won’t lose any data, but if you had any palettes open during your last session of AutoCAD, they will revert to whatever default setting you have in your CUI (i.e., open, docked, undocked, left, right, whatever).

If you or anyone else is interested in customizing Ribbons in Civil 3D, send me a message