Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hailey View Post
Jeff,

Have you tried not using arcs in your contours and, instead, to spline your polylines? Don't use splines, just spline your polylines. You'll get a much more "flowy" look to your contours.
Those are my favorite, i love trying to fillet (sp?) a splined polyline, or offset it, or edit it after you explode it... when we get contours like that, we xref them and draft them with legitimate lines and arcs so revsions can be made quickly....we draw contours like road geometry except the tangents are smaller so the line LOOKS splined but it has even numbered radii. it's MUCH easier to fix lines and arcs with radii that are even foot dimensions than polylines with 2 digit decimals.... think about the offsetting and having the z elevations.

the nice thing about land desktop was the offset by slope and grade, it worked on lines and arcs... i can't find that in C3D anywhere, everything wants to be a contour or a feature line.
---------
there aren't many surveyors up here in the north east using C3D models, in our experience to construct from. Actually, many of them use Carlson. CT is difficult to use GPS and ground control in because of the State's lock down on their system, and nobody else has put a public one up. It's pretty old skool up here and I don't know of many firms using C3D yet, this is really just an up and coming tool.... according to our reseller.

It really depends where you are and what you're doing, our experience is models are costly and way beyond least credible scope