Thread: Turning on/off Layers

Login to Give a bone

Default Turning on/off Layers

Is it possible to turn on/off a layer through SSM?

Here is what I am after:
    Currently our sheets are set up to print 22x34 and 11x17 without changing the layout tabs. I have set my scales up so I can switch a layer and it changes the look of the scale to match the paper size (see attached "scales" drawing). The actual paperspace layouts have a 22x34 border in them. When I want 11x17 I set the plot scale to 1:2 and turn off the "scale full" layer and turn on the "scale half" layer. When I want 22x34 I set the plot scale to 1:1 and turn on the scale full" layer and turn off the "scale half" layer.

I have my plot styles set up in SSM to print in both sizes (11X17 or 22x34). Is it possible to also switch the "scale full/ scale half" layers in SSM?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Turning on/off Layers

Not without some .NET code. However, may I ask what is on those layers? There may be a different approach.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

The only thing on those layers are the text "SCALE: 1"=X' and my bosses electronic stamp. That is it.

If you feel comfortable opening up the drawing I attached you will see what I am talking about with the scales.

The stamp is on those layers becasue it has to be 1" dia. when plotted. When I plott 22x34 the stamp is drawn 1" in dia. When I plott 11x17 the stamp is drawing 2" dia. because I plot everything at a 1:2 scale in page setup. That makes the stamp plot out 1" dia.

I hope all of the makes sense I am trying to be as specific as I can.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Rhodes View Post
    The only thing on those layers are the text "SCALE: 1"=X' and my bosses electronic stamp. That is it.

If you feel comfortable opening up the drawing I attached you will see what I am talking about with the scales.

The stamp is on those layers becasue it has to be 1" dia. when plotted. When I plott 22x34 the stamp is drawn 1" in dia. When I plott 11x17 the stamp is drawing 2" dia. because I plot everything at a 1:2 scale in page setup. That makes the stamp plot out 1" dia.

I hope all of the makes sense I am trying to be as specific as I can.
    The scale can be handled by using the Plot Scale field rather than layers.

The PE stamp issue is confusing... I know of no requirement for a reduced plot to have a full size stamp. When the set is an acknowledged reduced plot, it would be crazy for the agency to require full size stamps. How do they expect a full size stamp to fit in a half-size titleblock?

Does the agency force any half-size reproduction to be re-stamped with a full size stamp?
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

Typically when I plot out 1/2 size drawings I simply assign a .ctb file called "half-size" to the plot - that way I don't have to muck with the layers or colors - I just get a lighter pen weight for each existing color in the drawing.
    For example, if my normal color 12 pen weight is 0.0130 I would assign 0.0065 to it in the half-size plot style. I set up a "half-size" page setup that contains this plot style and the 1:2 plot scale in a template drawing.
    I then use the "publish to alternate page setup" option from SSM to plot using this page setup from the template drawing and I don't have to change a single thing.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    The scale can be handled by using the Plot Scale field rather than layers.

The PE stamp issue is confusing... I know of no requirement for a reduced plot to have a full size stamp. When the set is an acknowledged reduced plot, it would be crazy for the agency to require full size stamps. How do they expect a full size stamp to fit in a half-size titleblock?

Does the agency force any half-size reproduction to be re-stamped with a full size stamp?
    I will have to look into the plot scale field a little further I have never used it and am not sure how it works. Is there a good website or book I can pick up that would explain all of the different fields. I understand most but others really make no sense.

You are right a half size production set of plans does not have enough room to fit a full size stamp. I basically move the stamp out of the title block and place it elsewhere. Rapid City SD, and Gillette WY city engineers are the agencies that require us to submit both 22x34 and 11x17 plans. More often then not they have to be stamped (correct size) and signed.

Rather than making a set of sheets for both 11x17 and 22x34 I have just changed the plot scale under page setup to make everything print half size. Before I started using SSM it was no big deal to change the layers around because I had to get into every sheet any way. Now that is not the case.

Login to Give a bone

I will have to look into the plot scale field a little further I have never used it and am not sure how it works. Is there a good website or book I can pick up that would explain all of the different fields. I understand most but others really make no sense.
    We have a Fields forum right here at AUGI.

You are right a half size production set of plans does not have enough room to fit a full size stamp. I basically move the stamp out of the title block and place it elsewhere. Rapid City SD, and Gillette WY city engineers are the agencies that require us to submit both 22x34 and 11x17 plans. More often then not they have to be stamped (correct size) and signed.
    Yikes. Those agencies need some education. I know local agencies can override state requirements but I'm curious as to what the states' instructions are regarding reduced sets. I bet they don't require full stamp sizes at the state level. Do both states require wet-signing, or is a printed signature acceptable?

AFAIK, you are stuck on the layer issue without some .NET programming. Unless you are ok running a batch script to toggle things before running the 2nd publish.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    We have a Fields forum right here at AUGI.

Yikes. Those agencies need some education. I know local agencies can override state requirements but I'm curious as to what the states' instructions are regarding reduced sets. I bet they don't require full stamp sizes at the state level. Do both states require wet-signing, or is a printed signature acceptable?

AFAIK, you are stuck on the layer issue without some .NET programming. Unless you are ok running a batch script to toggle things before running the 2nd publish.
    I can not really comment on both sets of state regs. I can say for sure that the SD Dot requires everything be be 11x17. We are not required to wet stamp everything. That is why I generally have two stamps in each sheet in paper space. One that is the correct size for 22x34 plotting and one that is double size for 11x17 plotting.

I do not mean to bad mouth either one of the agencies, but yes some of the rules and regs really do seem usless. I am sure there is some method behind the madness. My guess is the methods were created before I was born and never updated and the madness just continues to follow.

Thanks for your help

Login to Give a bone

I could have swore there was a post just above this one with the below quoted text!?

Quote Originally Posted by drysod88 View Post
    Typically when I plot out 1/2 size drawings I simply assign a .ctb file called "half-size" to the plot - that way I don't have to muck with the layers or colors - I just get a lighter pen weight for each existing color in the drawing.
    For example, if my normal color 12 pen weight is 0.0130 I would assign 0.0065 to it in the half-size plot style. I set up a "half-size" page setup that contains this plot style and the 1:2 plot scale in a template drawing.
    I then use the "publish to alternate page setup" option from SSM to plot using this page setup from the template drawing and I don't have to change a single thing.
    Line weights are not a problem. Since is half size everything via the page setup I do not have to worry about having a second half size .ctb. I just check the Scale Line weights box under the plot scale (see attached)

Maybe I am going at this the wrong way. Dont you guys have to create stamped full and half size sets of the same plans? How are you doing it without creating separate layouts for each?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Dont you guys have to create stamped full and half size sets of the same plans? How are you doing it without creating separate layouts for each?
    We produce half-size sets all the time, but there is no requirement for a full-size PE stamp on a half-size print.

I think the agency is smoking something. What happens if you produce a full-size plot, and then send the set out to a repro house to produce the half-size? Are they going to reject the half-size reproduction because the stamp/sig has been electronically/optically reduced 50% by the repro house? I bet not.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec