Thread: hyperlinks between different dwg files, then converting to one dwf file

Login to Give a bone

Default hyperlinks between different dwg files, then converting to one dwf file

Hey guys,

Currently running ACAD 2005, moving to 2007 in mid January but, current adding hyperlinks between plans, sections and details to quickly jump from item to item, currently the way our drawing are set up we have our base plan & elevations in one file, plan section & details, in another file & lastly side section w/associative details in another file, this is easier for our team so we could possibly have up to three people to work on the same work order at the time, but when it comes to DWF the files, and trying to merge these three files back together into one dwf file the hyperlinks are trying to fine the original dwf file that there were created from, this is a problem.

Is there a way around this (pathing of dwf files?)

Or is our process flawed (instead of three separate file merge all these drawings down to one single file?)

Any help or comments would be greatly be appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: hyperlinks between different dwg files, then converting to one dwf file

Hi

When creating the Hyperlinks within the DWG files have you looked at the option Convert DWG Hyperlinks to DWF ( found within the "Insert Hyperlink" dialog box ) ?

Or are you after removing all Hyperlinks from within outputted DWF files ?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: hyperlinks between different dwg files, then converting to one dwf file

Hey mike,

yes i did look at the convert DWG Hyperlinks to DWFs, it does cover the hyperlinks when converting to DWFs, but my main problem is that we use multiple DWG files for a job and most times callouts do go from one drawing to another, i believe the solution is to merge all of the file into a single file, then link all callout there then DWF. i currently testing this theory.

Thanks again for the response.

RH

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: hyperlinks between different dwg files, then converting to one dwf file

I am in the process of trying to make this happen. I have the same issue. I use multiple drawings (floorplan, elevatins, details, sections, etc.) and would love to hyperlink from the floor plan to and elevation and then from elevation to a detail. I was hoping you got this to work or if anyone has any input.

Thanks in advance.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: hyperlinks between different dwg files, then converting to one dwf file

Try the relative hyperlinking when inserting Hyperlink in the drawing. It is located in the Dialog box below recent files.

I could stop if I wanted to Comach's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You may wish to consider Adobe Acrobat and convert to PDF. The process retains the hyperlinks in the drawing files and is fully editable in Adobe Acrobat. The great thing about using Adobe Acrobat is that you don't need an installation of Autocad to process the DWG files - so this is something that can be done by admin.

There are a number of options for modifying the link, including actions to go to a specific view - so when you click on the link it opens the appropriate page and can zoom to only the page area you are interested in.

If you leave the hyperlink as the default to open a DWG file it would automatically open Autocad and view the linked drawing.

Using bookmarks you could have a project index page - like a book - with links to each of the project drawings and links between the different drawings.

I used this system once on a intranet to link specific drawing details with the corresponding manufacturers PDF data and vice versa.