Thread: 3d laser scan

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Question 3d laser scan

Hi all,

I'm piping in ( no pun intended!) from the Architecture side of Revit--and after little or no sucess on the Revit Architecture forums---thought I'd throw this one to the MEP wolves:

Has anyone had experience using 3D laser scans / "point clouds" with Revit?
    Perhaps the "point cloud" can be imported into Navisworks, then imported into Revit as OBJ or some other format?

We have a very large renovation job, where there is discussion about having a 3d laser scan done to document the existing building. Sounds like a great BIM idea--but how can we use the point cloud data with Revit?

Any past experience, good or bad is appreciated!

Cheers...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3d laser scan

I've worked with a model that was using a 3D laser scan before. The architect said he took the .dwg file that was given to him by whoever created the 3D scan and imported it into revit and converted it to a mass somehow.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    Has anyone had experience using 3D laser scans / "point clouds" with Revit?
    Perhaps the "point cloud" can be imported into Navisworks, then imported into Revit as OBJ or some other format?
    I attended a MNRUG meeting where someone from McGough Construction talked about there experinces using the process.

I posted on my blog about it here.

Basically she said that when she got the .dwg from her surveyor/scanner it was a polymesh file and had to be brought into an inplace mass in Revit before she could cut plans and sections from it.

If I can remeber the company name, I think that they have developed their technique a little more, I'll post it here. It might be worth contacting them and getting there input (if they are willing to give it.)

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: 3d laser scan

I thought I'd reply to this thread 2½ years later to see if there are any additional thoughts people might have on the 3D laser scanning process.
    I just saw that this topic was touched upon in the "Thoughts on Revit MEP 2012" thread, but there wasn't much new there.
    The specific application I would like to know about is scanning a utility dense space (eg, a mechanical equipment room), importing it in to Revit MEP, and then modifying elements scanned (eg, pipes and ducts) in Revit MEP like you drew them yourself.
    This blog: http://whosafraidofthebigbadbim.blogspot.com discusses some of the technology associated with laser scanning and provides a link it Imaginit's "Scan to BIM". This is all quite helpful, but, in addition to other available software products, I am looking for anecdotal advice from people who have actually gone through this process.
    Last edited by rrubert; 2011-05-24 at 08:55 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

It was done on a project I'm working on, not by us (the engineers), but by the contractor. While our model is schematic and meant to convey design intent the contractor is building, based on 3D shop drawings (the same used to fabricate the ductwork) and a hybrid of the 3D laser scans and the architectural model, what will eventually be the as-built Navisworks model of the building that is used for facilities management and preventative maintenance. For what they're doing the 3D scan sounds pretty cool but from the design side it's really not worth more than a photograph.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

With the ability to link a scan into Revit now, it would be nice if someone had sample point cloud files they would share for us to try it.