Thread: Walls not showing when copy/monitored from link

Login to Give a bone

Default Walls not showing when copy/monitored from link

I'm having trouble with a revit link in my structural model.

When I import/link the architect's revit drawing, I did a copy/monitor of the walls he was showing. I assume I needed them copied in, because they are precast panels, and are going to be bearing. The first time I tried this, I couldn't get any of his walls to show up at all, so I had the architect set his wall discipline to bearing, then I re-linked his new drawing, and that got the walls to at least show, so I could copy/monitor them.

Anyway, my problem now is that when I turn off the visibility of the revit link, all the walls disappear. I thought that by copy/monitoring them, I'd be able to see them even when the link is turned off. If I hover my mouse over the location where the walls are, it will highlight them and I can click them, but when I move my mouse away, the wall go away again.

Did I do something wrong with the link, or is something wrong with wall setting coming from the architect? Or am I just confused on how Revit Structure is supposed to work?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is the first job I've done, and it's all new to me.

Thanks

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Walls not showing when copy/monitored from link

check your discipline in your properties. change it to coordination.
    the other thing i can think of is if you check your walls in the copy/monitor options.
    good luck. hope this helps some!

Login to Give a bone

Well I was able to get my walls to show up again.

I apparently had copy/monitored the analytical line of the original curtain wall that the architect was showing. So when I reloaded the Revit link after, the architect changed his walls to actual precast panels, instead of a curtain wall with breaks every 8 feet, I copied each panel. I think Revit hide one of the walls because the 2 walls were on top of each other. Well when you hide the precast wall, behind the analytical line, then there's nothing to see. So once I figured out that I had both things copied, I just deleted the analytical line, and then my precast panel wall showed up. I was hoping that when the wall type got changed, that Revit would recognize that, and tell me about it when I did my coordination review. I thought there was a way that the change would be made automatically for me.

Anyway, I revit prompted me about the two wall being on top of each other, and to use cut geometry to join the two walls, but I haven't been able to figure out how that's supposed to work, so I didn't do it.

Also, where do change the disipline to coordination? I remember our instructor showing us that at our class. So it sounds familiar, but I couldn't find it just now when I had my walls selected.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

To change the discipline to coordination. Highlight the level on which the walls are shown and then in the work area right click and select View Properties.

Under Instance Parameter, main Graphics title go down to Discipline and change it to Coordination.

Now this will only help you to see walls. Now select all the walls and go to its Element Properties and change the Structural Usage to Bearing.

If you keep the Discipline to Coordination you will not be able to see the Foundation lines.

So after you made all the walls to be Bearing, go back and change the Discipline to Structural.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

AVY,
    I've kept my discipline in coordination and I am able to see my foundation lines