Thread: Parameter with formula - editable or not?

Login to Give a bone

Default Parameter with formula - editable or not?

I have noticed that in some cases when I have a parameter driven by another parameter via a formula, the "driven" parameter is grayed out, and I choose what I want the "control" parameter to be.

But then other times I will set up a formula for a parameter, and I can edit both the "driven" and the "control" parameters. If I change one, the other one changes accordingly to make the formula work.

What can I do to sort of lock out the "driven" parameter, and make the only editable parameter be the "control" parameter?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parameter with formula - editable or not?

My guess is that if you are just creating the formula by using the two parameters, they will both be editable. But if the formula has another parameter included, the the parameter driven by the formula is not editable anymore.

So let's say you have a very simple family like a block with Width and Depth parameters. If you make the parameter Depth to be driven by a formula like Depth = Width / 2, then both Depth and Width are still editable. But if you create a new parameter like, let's say, "Ratio" and use it as part of the formula above (so Depth = (Width / 2) * Ratio) then Depth is not editable anymore and will be driven only by the formula. That;s because now we have a third parameter in the formula that has nothing to do with the Width and Depth anymore...

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

well bummer, I was using a formula to multiply another parameter by a constant. The constant is an irrational number derived through trig functions.

I guess I could just make another parameter and set that equal to the trig formula, then multiply the first parameter by the new parameter.

Login to Give a bone

Hi,
    Please help me to solve a nested formula with the number parameter:
    IF (Site Area<250, Site Area*0.78, IF (Site Area>400, Site Area*0.5, IF (Site Area>700, Site Area*0.2))).
    Then I got a BAD IF-statement format. It should be IF (<boolean>,<result-if-true>, <result-if-false>).
    Thanks in advance.
    Lou E.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by m.elano788978 View Post
    Hi,
    Please help me to solve a nested formula with the number parameter:
    IF (Site Area<250, Site Area*0.78, IF (Site Area>400, Site Area*0.5, IF (Site Area>700, Site Area*0.2, RESULT-IF-FALSE))).
    Then I got a BAD IF-statement format. It should be IF (<boolean>,<result-if-true>, <result-if-false>).
    Thanks in advance.
    Lou E.
    You are missing a result if false value in the last IF statement.

Also, two observations:
    1. As written, you need that missing result if false for Site Area values that are between 250 and 400.
    2. The Site Area > 700 result if true will never be executed, as those values will also be true for Site Area > 400. If your < and > signs are correct, you would want to write this as
    IF (Site Area<250, Site Area*0.78, IF (Site Area>700, Site Area*0.2, IF (Site Area>400, Site Area*0.5, Site Area*[insert factor for areas between 250 and 400, inclusive])))
    so that the value for Site Areas over 700 is properly calculated.