Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with PDFs!

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Problems with PDFs!

Has anyone else had problems with PDFs dropping misc. information off a sheet? I am very worried, wondering what to do about it - Are there settings I need to change?

We had this happen one other time with our consultants files - created with cutepdf; seven rooms shown - one completely missing demo/existing outlets. And now it's happening to our drawings - created in Adobe Standard 8; some letters out of words in our titleblock. No, this is not a layer/viewport/freeze/thaw or any other kind of issue - it is the fault of the PDF.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Problems with PDFs!

One workaround would be to publish to DWF, and then print to PDF from Autodesk Design Review. That's been a useful trick to get drawings in PDF when the Autocad plot command is not working.

Heck our best method for clean, small PDF is to plot to hardcopy and then scan them thru our network scanner. sizes drop incredibly, and visual quality is identical

Login to Give a bone

I'm not having problems with PDF's, but the other day I sent a drawing to print and it was missing some information. I then re-printed it again and it was ok. I'm putting it down to the server being the cause of it. Maybe a virus or data not being sent correctly. Who knows?

Have you tried it a few times?

Login to Give a bone

I haven't necessarily had the issue you mention with PDF's. At my firm we use CutePDF instead of the PDF driver that ships with AutoCAD.

Aside from that, most often when parts of a plot is being truncated or omitted I have found errors in one of my drawings. Generally speaking you can fix this up pretty simply using the RECOVERALL command in 2008+

Login to Give a bone

If you haven't already tried it, give Bluebeam a go (bluebeam.com). It doesn't cost much and can do just about anything you need for pdf's. There a 30 day trial period which means you can test your problem immediately.

Login to Give a bone

I've actually had some of the same problems with printing PDFs from AutoCAD (using both cutepdf as well as Acrobat 8'). I've had the best luck with the version 6 driver of Acrobat pro (file size and fidelity as well as all info showing up), but the best fix I had was exactly what was stated before, if you are having omitted info just publish to dwf and then print from there to pdf. Or if all of your drawings are missing info and not just a few, maybe invest in new pdf software such as bluebeam or adjust your standards to use dwf instead of pdf. Best advice I can come up with.
    Last edited by kmorin; 2008-07-31 at 04:28 PM. Reason: didnt want cool glasses

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We've used Bluebeam for years and have never had a problem. We haven't update our Bluebeam to work with 2009 so I've been using the "DWG to PDF" plot configuration the past few times clients have asked for PDF's. It seems to be working almost as well as Bluebeam. The only thing I've noticed is that the line weights seem to be heavier but that may be due to having an incorrect CTB set.

Incidently, if you are considering Bluebeam, the company is very responsive and helpful if you do have questions or problems.

Tom

I could stop if I wanted to Comach's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jkramer View Post
    Has anyone else had problems with PDFs dropping misc. information off a sheet? I am very worried, wondering what to do about it - Are there settings I need to change?

We had this happen one other time with our consultants files - created with cutepdf; seven rooms shown - one completely missing demo/existing outlets. And now it's happening to our drawings - created in Adobe Standard 8; some letters out of words in our titleblock. No, this is not a layer/viewport/freeze/thaw or any other kind of issue - it is the fault of the PDF.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    You actually get more consistent results if you print to postscript - PS or EPS then convert to PDF. This manages the drawing data more efficiently than going straight to PDF.

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hughrjt View Post
    You actually get more consistent results if you print to postscript - PS or EPS then convert to PDF. This manages the drawing data more efficiently than going straight to PDF.
    We have had this problem for a while now (I mentioned this in another thread). We found Acrobat 5.0 didn't have as many issues, but it seems to happen more often with batch plotting than not.

We gave Bluebeam a try and I loved it, but there's that whole "Cute PDF cost" thing, and that's a tough one to beat. Also, AutoDesk seems to be getting on board with .PDF's, with the driver and the .PDF insert capabilities, so maybe they have patched up the bumps in their relationship with Adobe? If you can find Acrobat 5, I think you'll experience fewer problems.

I could stop if I wanted to Comach's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Liamnacuac View Post
    We have had this problem for a while now (I mentioned this in another thread). We found Acrobat 5.0 didn't have as many issues, but it seems to happen more often with batch plotting than not.
    Were you batch plotting to PDF or to PS?

If to PS, one would setup a 'watched folder' in Distiller and it will automatically convert PS to PDF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast