Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draw Order keeps changing

I could stop if I wanted to artisteroi's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Draw Order keeps changing

Hi all,
    I have a block with a raster image (wipe out) in it that stretches to mask an area of the block. The wipe out was draworder- move to front. Now I have made this block perfectly, tested it thoroghly and it worked fine. However, after saving it to the network and inserting it into a drawing later, the mask is now in the back. I go back to the network block and fix it again, save and close. Later I insert it again and the raster has moved to the back again. Is this a bug or is someone altering my blocks while I am not looking?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Draw Order keeps changing

What version of AutoCAD? Draw order is a terrible problem in older versions, while WBlock is a terrible problem in current versions.

My guess is you got it working perfectly in a drawing, then used WBlock which hosed the object selection order. Open the file directly on the network and modify it there.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I think cdorder stack on the drawing, make your wipeout as different color then cdorder it below. If problem persist then you have to try using hatch solid color 255 instead of using wipeout.

Login to Give a bone

I am using 07 vanilla. the block isn't a w-block. it's a reference block. and what is cdorder?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by artisteroi View Post
    I am using 07 vanilla. the block isn't a w-block. it's a reference block. and what is cdorder?
    There is no such thing as a wblock. Wblock is just a command that allows you to create a separate dwg file. Robert is saying open the file directly, edit it and close it.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I had the same problem with a wipeout inside a block. In the drawing I orriginally made the block, the draworder is correct. However, when I insert that block into another drawing (Copy-n-Paste, DesignCenter, or WBlock & Insert Browse) the draworder changes for that wipeout.

The only solution I got from here is to recreate the block, but this time physically draw each entity in the order I want them displayed. I.e. the wipeout first. It was a real pain in the butt because this block was dynamic with quite a lot of actions happening inside (which of course needed to be redone as well).

Also noticed this happens even to the orriginal drawing if your refedit it when it's a xref.

Login to Give a bone

ahhh. I thought it might be something like that. Its the same as the parameter listings. it appears in what ever order the item is actually created. So the draw order command only sets the visual for that session of cad, once the dwg is closed, then the draworder is reverted to its natural state. Hmmm. that makes it impossible to use a wipeout effectively in a dyna block of any complexity. I have blocks where the wipeout increments around complex curves. there is no way I could draw it before drawing the curve that it traces. I guess I will have to stop using it.

is there a way to stretch a region using dyna parameters? probably not. I think I will head over to the wish list now.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The draworder is preserved inside the drawing in which you made the block. Unless like mine you've later refedited the DWG. The problem comes in that draworder isn't brought in with a block newly inserted into another drawing.

For your wipeout around the curve, could you first draw a temporary curve, draw the wipeout(s), then copy the temporary curve @0,0 and erase previous? If that works it should solve your problem.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

As an aside, does this problem appear on plots as well? If it doesn't change WHIPTHREAD to 0 or 1. Otherwise draworder could become haphazard - but only for the display.

Login to Give a bone

havn't noticed it on a plot yet. But I don't really do any of the plotting around here. I think it might be more trouble than it is worth. I do have other methods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast