Thread: Applying View Templates, and the Project Browser-

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Applying View Templates, and the Project Browser-

I am just curious if this has always been standard behavior in Revit, or not. Having recently imported a consultants Linked RVT model, i am now setting up some view templates to manage what i do and what i dont want to see. Here is what ive discovered though:

I create a VT named "Enlarged Plan with Link" I then go in my browser (which is set to Views Not on Sheets), to a sheet that has 4 Enlarged Plans on it. I Control+Click to select all 4, and i right click on them. The only options i get are the Properties Dialogue, and Delete, which is grayed out.

Now, if i switch my Project Browser to "Views: all", and go under floor plans, the same Enlarged Plans are obviously present. If i select them there, i can right click > apply view templates.

Okay, so if were going to depend on VT's, should we just get used to not using Views Not on Sheets? lol...
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time ajayholland's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Applying View Templates, and the Project Browser-

This has been a characteristic of View Templates since at least V9. One cannot apply a view template to multiple views selected in the ‘sheet’ section of the browser.

However, by ‘right-clicking’ the sheet you may select ‘Apply View Templates to All Views’. If the Default Template is pre-set for all views on the sheet, this may be a solution.

~AJH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ajayholland; 2007-10-25 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Attachment

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ajholland View Post
    This has been a characteristic of View Templates since at least V9. One cannot apply a view template to multiple views selected in the ‘sheet’ section of the browser.

However, by ‘right-clicking’ the sheet you may select ‘Apply View Templates to All Views’. If the Default Template is pre-set for all views on the sheet, this may be a solution.

~AJH

Understood... Its just that i have plans and enlarged plans on the same sheet, and im using different VT's for them both, so that doesnt work without changing them all to the enlarged, then grabbing the one view and changing it back.

Its not a major thing, its just that i (we) prefer the "Views not on Sheets" for keeping track of whats ready to go and whats not. If we switch it to Views: all just to do this, and then switch it back, thats no biggie... As long as everyone on the project team (cracks whip) has named views with a prefix suggesting what type of view it is. That ir we just make some additional view types to cover it (which we should do anyway...)

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    ...Its just that i have plans and enlarged plans on the same sheet, and im using different VT's for them both, so that doesnt work without changing them all to the enlarged, then grabbing the one view and changing it back.
    I think you've missed the subtlety of his comment. If a view is assigned to a "Default View Template" you can technically apply different view templates at one time when you choose apply view template to all views because the default view template will be used. Two views, two different view templates, choosing Default will apply the view's own view template assignment.

Login to Give a bone

Interesting... So whatever VT is set as "Default VT" will override if a VT is applied to it? Or am i misreading that? That would certainly be neat if it was the case.The Default VT selector always confused me, becuase ive set VT's in there without it affecting drawings at all, haha...

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Interesting... So whatever VT is set as "Default VT" will override if a VT is applied to it? Or am i misreading that? That would certainly be neat if it was the case.The Default VT selector always confused me, becuase ive set VT's in there without it affecting drawings at all, haha...
    If you choose a specific VT it will be applied to the view. If you choose "Default View Template" then Revit will apply whatever VT is assigned to that setting for each selected view. Take a look at the properties of a view, note the default view template parameter? Make sense now?

Login to Give a bone

The default view template setting is one of the most powerful and least understood of Revit's features.

Setting a default view template in the properties dialog does not apply the view template right then.

Using View->Apply View Template changes the views display AND updates the default view template property ONLY if the current view template is set to None.

Using View->Apply View Template changes the way a view displays and DOES NOT update the default view template property if it is set to anything other than None.

Applying <Default View Template> restores the settings contained in each views Default View Template property. It should probably be called <Restore View Template Settings> to make this clearer to the users...

It is a great system.

Login to Give a bone

File > Print. Ill never remember that otherwise, LOL... Thanks guy

Login to Give a bone

Everyone working on Revit really needs to be clear how to use the view templates. The really frustrating thing about view templates is when you need to modify the visibility in a view. You can easily forget that you have assigned a view template to the view and manually go into the visibility/graphic override and change the display of certain elements. Everything appears to be ok until right before you issue a project and select all views and apply the “Default view template”. Anything that was manually changed is now overwritten because those changes were not saved to the view template.

If a view has a Default View Template assigned to it I think Revit should lock the ability to manually override the visibility. Maybe a dialog should pop up “The visibility in this view is controlled by a view template.”

Maybe there is already a better way to manage this? Anyone else have similar frustrations with this?

Jason

Login to Give a bone

Any easy way to change the view template of a bunch of views is to do it from the project browser. Just select all of the views, right click and click on "Apply View Template." Choose the template you want and click ok.