Thread: 64Bit Network License

Login to Give a bone

Default 64Bit Network License

We recently upgrade to a few 64 bit PCs and for some reason 9.8 times out of 10 Navisworks will fail at obtaining a license from our licensing server. My 32bit laptop works perfect on the same connection.

I have tripled the "FLEXLM_TIMEOUT" variable in the environment variables thinking that it was just timing out too quick but that has not had any effect. However, this change did solve the problem I was having getting Revit Arch/MEP/Struct to license.

Has anyone else seen the same problem or have a quick fix??

- Chris
    Last edited by christopherri; 2009-05-05 at 06:07 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 64Bit Network License

I have the same issue on my 64bit machines. I cannot obtain a network license for navisworks. I suspect it is due to a clash with another network licensed program.
    I have solidworks that gets its license of one server using flexlm, naviswworks gets its license from another server. I am not sure wether it is because the licenses are on different servers, or just an incompatibility with solidworks.

Is your Revit Arch/MEP/Struct licenses coming from a defferent server? or have the licenses been joined?

I did once have it working for a day, but then it broke. I set both of these 'system' variables,
    adskflex_license_file = @server-name and
    FLEXLM_TIMEOUT = 1000000 (up to 2000000 over a vpn)
    The need for the license file variable seems to have been caused by a bug in the installation on 64bit systems where the server name isnt added to the lmtools paths.

I have spent around a hundred hours trying to get this to work. The quick fix I am using at the moment is to use the trial, That will expire in a couple of weeks, and I will try to get it going again. My first step will be to get it going for a week before I install solidworks, then if it breaks I know its a multiple licensing confilct.

These are the specs of the systems that have this issue.
    E8500 3.16GHz @ 3.8GHz (400x9.5) 1.312V, 1600FSB, GA-EP35-DS3P r2.1 F3 bios, 8GB Geil 800MHz (5-5-5-15)stock, 74GB WD Raptor HD, QuadroFX 3450 PCIE Video, Antec 650W PSU. Vista Ultimate 64bit

E8500 3.16GHz @ 3.8GHz (400x9.5) 1.312V, 1600FSB, GA-X48-DS4 r1.0 F1 bios, 8GB Geil 800MHz (5-5-5-15)stock, 1x 150GB WD Raptor HD, FireGL 3600 PCIE Video, 500W PSU. Vista Business 64bit

First a box says 'verifying license', then a dialogue comes up asking for me to specify the server or license file, then I get error [1.5.-15].
    Last edited by navisworks; 2008-11-12 at 11:43 AM.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We have no problems with 64 machines, they are all XP no Vista. We have a wide variety of other programs on the same license server as well. I'm not the lm expert though so I can't really tell you why it works

Login to Give a bone

So it looks like it is just 64bit vista that has the issue.

Login to Give a bone

I may have some good news! After 3 months of not being able to run navisworks 2009 on either of my 3 64bit systems, it seems that adding the ip address of the license server as a wins server may have fixed it.

In 64 bit vista, goto to control panel > network and sharing centre > manage network connections> (right click your network connection - eg. vpn, local etc. select properties) > goto networking tab > select 'internet protocol version 4' > select properties > select advanced > select wins tab > select add, and add the ip adress of the license server, click ok, then reboot.

This is still preliminary as I have just reinstalled my system and dont have navisworks and autocad installed, but it has just run. Next is to install solidworks, and keep it working, but just adding the server as a wins server is so simple that it seems the correct answer.

An ip address of a server can be found by opening a cmd prompt and typing ping 'server name'.

I will try this on my work system within 12 hours time - will report results.
    Last edited by navisworks; 2008-11-17 at 02:03 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Yep, that seems to have fixed it. Yeha!