Thread: Please, please, please, help with Block and Keynoting help

Login to Give a bone

Default Please, please, please, help with Block and Keynoting help

I have spent so much time researching and reading it is driving me crazy that I can't do what I think should be so simple to setup.

If someone would be so kind as to either point me in the right direction or tell me where I am failing I would be so appreciative.

All I want is to setup the following 2 steps

1) drag a block (that I create) from a pallet onto a drawing. (this is easy)

2) use one of the predefined keynoting tools on one of the predefined pallets to click on the block I inserted from 1) and have ACA insert a predefined keynote (without using the 'pick keynote' dialog box)

I have researched:
    detail component manager
    content browser
    block attributes design center
    AEC content wizard

nothing works and I'm going crazy, I'm a seasoned Acad and VBA user but new to ACA. We're a consulting engineering firm that uses ACA but makes no use of its tools. For our work this feature would be so helpful but I can't believe its giving me such a hard time to set up.

I've set up the block in a dwg library file
    used AEC content wizard to create a separate dwg file
    I created a new detail component defining the keynotes and pointing the the dwg file created by the wizard
    i've dragged the block from the dwg onto a pallet
    using the reference keynote tool on a AEC pallet when I pick the block I still get the 'pick keynote' dialog box, i want it to automatically insert the note I create.

this is one of many different ways I've tried setting this up, all to no avail....

again, any help would be so appreciative....

Tim

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Please, please, please, help with Block and Keynoting help

figured it out

I knew it was going to be something easy, I just can't believe that no where is this explained straight forwardly and it took me days to discover.

for the benefit of others, in an over simplified explanation, here's one way I found to do it.

first create the block

second, add a new component using the detail component manager, here you'll define the keynote and point to the file that has the block reference.

Once complete, in that same detail component manager dialog box, select the component in the top left list, then in the table in the bottom of that dialog box click on the gray box that precedes the row that lists the information for the block to select the entire row. Then click again to drag and drop it into the pallet you want.

I'm sure there are other ways to set this up but I'm done looking.....