Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing Fixtures.

Login to Give a bone

Default Plumbing Fixtures.

I am learning Revit MEP. I was just wondering if you guys put your plumbing fixtures inthe architectural file of in the MEP file? I tryed to insert the fixture in the MEP file but it will not insert. I am trying to insert a sink on a counter. It is possible?

I could stop if I wanted to Simon.Whitbread's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plumbing Fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by CadVizion View Post
    I am learning Revit MEP. I was just wondering if you guys put your plumbing fixtures inthe architectural file of in the MEP file? I tryed to insert the fixture in the MEP file but it will not insert. I am trying to insert a sink on a counter. It is possible?
    You may find that you have to reproduce the counter in your file, so you can place the sink, or have the sink 'face based' so it will host on the architectural linked file. I definately wouldn't recommend editing the Architects file.

And you wouldn't be able to connect to the sink if it was in the architects file.

HTH

Simon

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by SimonWHNZ View Post
    You may find that you have to reproduce the counter in your file, so you can place the sink, or have the sink 'face based' so it will host on the architectural linked file. I definately wouldn't recommend editing the Architects file.

And you wouldn't be able to connect to the sink if it was in the architects file.

HTH

Simon
    I did make the counter face base but it will not attach to it. It only picks the sides. So, you are saying place the counters in the MEP file? If that is the case, would I have to place all counter or anything that a fixture is going to by insert on into the MEP file?
    Last edited by CadVizion; 2008-11-06 at 01:12 PM.

Login to Give a bone

My 2 cents

IF, and that is a big IF, you plan to use the sizing tools for your plumbing piping, Then you need to have the fixtures in the file you are working in. OR, you can use the "connectors" only that come with the program. IF, you plan to size your own waste and water piping, Then, I would suggest that you just draw the piping in your file without actually connecting to a fixture for your first project or so. THEN, you may want to consider putting fixtures in your file on top of the architecturally placed ones and see how you like the program features. You would then have to use your judgement on which set of fixtures to turn off for CD production. I have found that you must do a lot of work around things to create anything like what you may be used to delivering as CD's. I am sure the program will continue to progress.

Have fun. Enjoy the journey.

I could stop if I wanted to dmb.100468's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The way we are seeing it done is to allow the architect to place the fixtures in their model.
    Then in the MEP model the plumbing designer is placing a Pipe Connector - Sanitary - Plumbing Fixture (found in Imperial Library/Plumbing Components/Fixtures/Connectors).

This is a small, face-hosted "stub" that acts as a plumbing fixture so you can add all of the info and create a fixture schedule. It has a pipe connector so you can model your pipe from it.

This allows you to do sizing and be connected to whatever the architect is using for a fixture.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dmb.100468 View Post
    This is a small, face-hosted "stub" that acts as a plumbing fixture so you can add all of the info and create a fixture schedule. It has a pipe connector so you can model your pipe from it.

This allows you to do sizing and be connected to whatever the architect is using for a fixture.
    Thats a real groovy idea - have you used it in practice yet?

I can certainly see some huge benefits and wonder why no-one (myself included) has mentioned it before now.

Like most good ideas - Its simple, but clever.

I'm going to have to try it out - soon

Without opening Revit, about the only problem (if it is one) is constraining [or not] the stub to the architectural object. Also scheduling the toilets - but that should be the Architects job anyway

I could stop if I wanted to dmb.100468's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Here it is in the sample model that I use for training.

You can add any parameters you want to it, in order to create a schedule. I just duplicate it and create a new type for each type of fixture.

As for being constrained to the arch model, the "fixture" is face hosted (in this case to the bottom face of the toilet which is part of a linked arch model) so depending on how the fixture moves in the arch model, the stub should move with it. Of course that movement might wreak havoc on your pipe run and fittings....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Nice!!

Going to try that out today!

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Plumbing Fixtures.

Using the connectors is the only way I am completing Revit projects for plumbing. BUT, not always (most times not) for every fixture. I use them at a given point to define the system. With out systems you cannot use the filters and that is important with multiple trades in the same model.
    The current model we are working on is a small hospital with NO ceiling space. We are modeling to pack the 10 pounds in the 5 pound bag.
    I defined the vent by connecting vertical connectors at the terminations thru the roof therefore I can actually show dashed lines for the vents.
    Hot Water, Cold Water, Medical Air, Oxygen, Vacuum, .....
    Seems to be the best way to produce legible drawings, for now.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

[quote=CadVizion;907874]I did make the counter face base but it will not attach to it. It only picks the sides. quote]

CadVizion, when trying to place a face-based fixture, did you remember to click the middle button on the option bar, which lets you choose any face, instead of just the vertical ones?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast