Thread: Construction - model builder

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Construction - model builder

I was approached recently by a design-build firm to build the architects 2d model and bring it into 3d and doing what they called quality control on it. Anyone doing this type of work yet and what are you charging approx.?

This includes doing Arch, MEP and Structure

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Construction - model builder

I would charge your rate as a designer on an hourly basis, or figure a lump sum based on level of effort and hourly rate.
    I've noticed a lot of CM firms have "Director of Virtual Building" titles in their staff. It looks like this is what you are doing.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Construction - model builder

Quote Originally Posted by sjsl View Post
    I was approached recently by a design-build firm to build the architects 2d model and bring it into 3d and doing what they called quality control on it. Anyone doing this type of work yet and what are you charging approx.?

This includes doing Arch, MEP and Structure
    I have been doing a little of this for a structural engineer we work with. Usually we do a generic architectural model and more detailed structural model but no MEP. As for charging, we arranged to take a percentage of his fee, typically 25%-50% based on complexity and level of detail required. It eliminates all his drafting except for tweaks to details. We were approached several times for exactly what you were and we charged our standard fee minus design costs. They seemed to think it was too much at the time 'shrug'.