Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trusses in Revit Structure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Trusses in Revit Structure

I think that Truss Tool needs some work. One is that you should be able to attach the top chord to a floor not just a roof. I am not sure why you can only attach a truss to an architectural element, and not a structural element.

It would also be nice to be able to set the out to out distance of a truss currently right now members are defined by the center of the member. So if I place a truss with a floor on top of it I have to offset the top chord half the distance of the member, and if that member changes I have to remember to go back and change the offset of the truss.

Also I have posted this before, but you can't have different top and bottom chords. If you make any modifications to the truss they will reset themselves to be the same length.

Since we know have the extension for analyzing trusses it would be nice to be able to model trusses with the truss tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Trusses in Revit Structure

I agree that Autodesk needs to add some functionality in this area. Having the top and bottom reference planes at the top of the top chord and bottom of the bottom chord is necessary. Expecially if you're designing trusses composed of wide flange shapes. Has anyone at Autodesk tried to model a wide flange truss and then tried to dimension the full height when their done? I doubt it! If they had they would clearly see the issue.

Login to Give a bone

I agree with you both. The truss tool lacks the ability to create a triangular lattice truss or girder or 3d truss. All members (top, web and bottom chords) of a truss created can only be in the same plane!

Login to Give a bone

My firm is VERY new to Revit Structure, so bare with me. We are creating a model for an old existng building and I have been given the task of creating the trusses. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I can't seem to get the Truss family to work they way I want. How do go in and edit the top chord, bot chord & web members? The trusses that our "out of the box" look very generic and can't seem to be edited. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Check out this link it may give you a starting point.

http://augiru.augi.com/content/libra...er/SE304-2.pdf

Login to Give a bone

WOW! Thank you very much! Where did you find such useful information?

Login to Give a bone

It was actually one of the classes that was offered at AU a couple years ago. Do a search on Autodesk University you might find a bunch of similar info.

Login to Give a bone

Can you please show me any other link for this document? This one doesn't work any more.
    Thanks a lot.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I dont agree with the original post completely.

The truss modelling system is quite robust, once you understand how it operates you can get very good results out of it. One of my pet hates is having to clean the connections up, but otherwise it works very well in my opinion. You need to incorporate all of its limitations in your initial truss model design and you will make your life much easier. As far as placing only on architectural masses, thats simply not true, I work solely in revit structures, and I can place the truss out in space if I really wanted to, its all associated to a work plane, not to a modelled element...

Here are some images of a truss similar to yours, and also the truss family itself.
    You also can have different top and bottom chords, if you go into the truss once placed, and edit type, you can set top, bottom, and web members individually (but not in your initial model, you need to place it first)
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to FOUTJM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

lately have been foregoing the truss tool and modeling trusses as columns and beams(with 2011's new end attachments its a breeze) then grouping. two projects like this seemed to have worked pretty well.
    • File Type: jpg pc.JPG (346.0 KB, 120 views)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast