Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revit Arch. project origin: Revit 2009

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Arch. project origin: Revit 2009

We are starting a new project in Revit 2009 SP2. And i am wondering about how to go about setting up project origin? In our previous project in Revit 2008, we had moved entire project near to acad 0,0 and then link that acad survey file into revit 2008 and acquired co-ordinates from it. In this case we had to manage 2 project origins and record the difference between world OS origin and revit specific project origin.

Is it still the case with Revit 2009? The new project has X = 410199999.6000mm Y = 561500000.4000mm. Do we need to move survey acad file near to acad 0,0 and then link it to revit 2009 and acqurie co-ordinates?

I went through some posts in this forum and they were quite extensive. Lots of information on this subject. The common message was revit is not happy with your project being away more than 2km. from revit origin.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Regards

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Arch. project origin: Revit 2009

Download the attachment, and import/link it in a floor plan with no crop region, Origin to Origin. (It is just a small circle drawn in AutoCAD around the origin).

That is where you want to stay centered around.

For what its worth, i did this in our template, then drew and pinned two reference planes through the center of it. One called NS ORIGIN and one called EW ORIGIN.

So whenever someone starts a new project they have a concrete starting point...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    Download the attachment, and import/link it in a floor plan with no crop region, Origin to Origin. (It is just a small circle drawn in AutoCAD around the origin).

That is where you want to stay centered around.

For what its worth, i did this in our template, then drew and pinned two reference planes through the center of it. One called NS ORIGIN and one called EW ORIGIN.

So whenever someone starts a new project they have a concrete starting point...

Thanks very much for your quick response.
    But how is this linked with our site acad drg? Does this mean that i need to move everything in acad site drg. near to acad wcs 0,0 and then link that in to revit 2009 and acquire co-ordinates?

reagrds

Login to Give a bone

I apologize. I read the post too fast, and missed that portion.

I would leave the AutoCAd file as it is, especially if its a consultants file. You dont want to be changing it everytime they send over an update.

Import it Center to Center, then move it so it is properly aligned with your model (which is built around the REVIT origin, as i described above).

THEN, acquire coordinates from the DWG file. Revit will read those *coordinates* but as far as Revit is concerned the model will still be around "revits origin" so you wont have the issues that plague models a large distance from the origin...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

"Shared Coordinates" confuses the hell out of me so I use the Origin to Origin method as described above. Having imported Acad files that are drawn very far away from 0,0 reduces accuracy, so I re-zero survey drawings if they need it.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks very much.

I see different views here. So if we model whole revit project around revit origin (share co-ordinates not acquired at this stage), and then link final survey drg. with true world OS origin, which is shown above, and acquire shared co-ordinates from it, do you see any problems because of large nos. in x and y axes. Please see above for the x and y value.

Tom's method suggest that i would be better moving survey drg. near to WCS 0,0 in acad and then link-->>acquire etc..

thanks

Login to Give a bone

No no... You dont have to move anything, in either file.

Import the file i posted origin to Origin. Build your Revit model around THAT origin as the (roughly) center point.

In the Survey LEAVE EVERYTHING where it is already, and import the SURVEY Center to Center.

It will be in the wrong place, obviously. MOVE the durvey (in revit, just grab it and move it) so its in the right spot. THEN use Shared Coordinates to ACQUIRE the Coordinate of the Survey.

Revit will still maintain ACCURACY because its still around the *Revit origin* even though youre not using the coords of the SURVEY.

You DO NOT have to go in and start moving stuff in the survey...

Login to Give a bone

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=53687

That is a post in the FAQ, with one of the original developers explaining the "why's" of this method, for your educational purposes...

Login to Give a bone

Thanks a million Aaron. You have been very helful. I can now start this project with confidence. (while i await autodesk's subscription center reply on this one).

I will post some results of this new project fairly soon.

Regards

Login to Give a bone

Just got the reply from autodesk subscription center tech. support team, which says following:

My question:
    ================================================================
    "Dear Sir:
    We are starting our second projec tin Revit 2009 and site drg. in acad has origin away like X = 410199999.6000 Y = 561500000.4000. This is true UK OS origin. Now do i need to move this site drawing near to 0,0 in ACAD and then link that moved origin site drawing into revit and acquire co-ordinates from it? We did this in our previous project in revit 2008. So we had to work with 2 project origins in that case. Do we still need to do this in REvit 2009? or does revit 2009 handles large nos. in origin?

thanks in anticipation of your quick response.

Regards

=================================================================
    Autodesk reply:
    "Yes, you have to do this again. Revits limitation is 3km at the moment. (This might be increase to 4, 5 or 10km in the future)"

I am now confused. Revit tech. support team says i have to move everything in my survey drg. near to acad 0,0 and then link it. Am i right to interprete their reply?

Thanks for your help.

regards

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast