Thread: Character Limit on PDF file name - plotting

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Character Limit on PDF file name - plotting

We're using AutoCAD on subscription and PDF 995 as a plot device.

One set of files that we have are named by the client and and have very long file names. When I plot using PDF995, I though I was having the PLOTCOLLATE problem, so I opened windows explorer and set autocad to not plot in the background. I watched the file name update in windows explorer as the plots rolled out of autocad and realized that first letters of the file name were all the same so it was overwriting.

When we batch plot with PDF 995 by shift clicking the layout tabs and plotting to a set folder, it names the plots by "filename-layoutname". I can't change this.

Is the character limit on the plotted PDF a result of something AutoCAD is doing? or is it the result of something that PDF995 is doing?

We haven't been using the Acad PDF driver because it's been problematic with missing lines and shaded patterns when we shift click the layouts to plot.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Character Limit on PDF file name - plotting

Quote Originally Posted by 3dway View Post
    We're using AutoCAD on subscription and PDF 995 as a plot device.

One set of files that we have are named by the client and and have very long file names. When I plot using PDF995, I though I was having the PLOTCOLLATE problem, so I opened windows explorer and set autocad to not plot in the background. I watched the file name update in windows explorer as the plots rolled out of autocad and realized that first letters of the file name were all the same so it was overwriting.

When we batch plot with PDF 995 by shift clicking the layout tabs and plotting to a set folder, it names the plots by "filename-layoutname". I can't change this.

Is the character limit on the plotted PDF a result of something AutoCAD is doing? or is it the result of something that PDF995 is doing?

We haven't been using the Acad PDF driver because it's been problematic with missing lines and shaded patterns when we shift click the layouts to plot.

Thanks.
    AFAIK, the character limit is set by windows which is 255 including its path. And when your path exceeds 255, it will use the character ~ in your filename and in which you'll not gonna like it.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Character Limit on PDF file name - plotting

Definately under 255.

The limit seems to be more like 20 or so. I didn't count and don't have the file at my fingertips right now.