Thread: Engineering Seals

Login to Give a bone

Default Engineering Seals

How would you show both electrical and mechanical seals on the same title block, but be able to turn on the correct seal depending on the discipline of the sheet. I know there are ways in families to turn things on and off, would this work for seals, if so how?

I could stop if I wanted to dmb.100468's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Engineering Seals

Insert the seal into your titleblock.
    Create a yes/no parameter for the seal.
    In the properties of the seal, map its visibility to the yes/no parameter.

Create additional yes/no parameters for any other seals to be added.

Login to Give a bone

Don,

To further this, I think the idea is to read a "discipline" parameter to determine the yes/no result. Something like:

if discipline = mechanical then yes, else = no
    if discipline = electrical then yes, else = no

Login to Give a bone

How would I link the seals in a discipline parameter? I have tried but not having luck writing the "IF" statement. What kind of format does it need to be in to be able to control a "yes/no" parameter?

I have tried a few things as well:
    1. I tried to make the seals their own family, but could not insert the seal family into the title block because for a family error.
    2. Then I inserted the CAD file into the title block and created a parameter with a "yes/no" condition, but when even I turn the Mseal off it will turn it off on all the sheets.

Is there away to make two different title blocks for one job, like a HVAC title block and an Electrical title block? We tried this but it would always over ride the other title block.

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

2.Make the parameter an instance parameter instead of a type parameter. That way you can say yes/no per sheet.
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by csutton2181 View Post
    Is there away to make two different title blocks for one job, like a HVAC title block and an Electrical title block? We tried this but it would always over ride the other title block.
    For a multi-discipline office I would recommend one Titleblock family with (2) Family Types. First family type for Electrical and second for Mechanical. You can then place both seal families in the Titleblock and control their visibility with yes/no type parameters.

Once you load the Titleblock into your project file, you will be able to choose from the type selector the Electrical or Mechanical version for each sheet.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Additionally, if you're sending your Revit model to someone, make sure you purge the seals from the title block families. Don't need the architects getting those.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, so I inserted the CAD format of the seal into the title block page, but then I can not manage my links that way. Meaning if I wanted to change the seal to a review note or the date on the seal I would have to reload it every time it would not just automatically up date or a chance for me to reload the CAD file. This also means I would have to purge the seal out since the file is linked in I believe, instead of sending something off and the architect opening the file and that path can not be found meaning they do not have the seal. I tried this with making a family for the seal and I can not manage the links there either. Anyone have any ideas? I know I can manage the link in the project file, but that would mean inserting the seal on every single sheet.

Thoughts or ideas?