Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forcing File Associations

Login to Give a bone

Default Forcing File Associations

At the moment I am running both AutoCAD 2007 & AutoCAD 2009 and whenever I open up a .dwg file the computer seems rather undecided on which program to open the file in.

I was wondering if there is a way to force the files to open up in 2009. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance,
    Sean

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Forcing File Associations

The proper way to open files, IMHO, is to open the program first and then browes to your drawings.

ACote

Login to Give a bone

I agree with acote but, if you must open files from an explorer window, windows should open files with whichever version was last closed.

Failing that, from an explorer window, click Tools\Folder options\File types. Select DWG, details should say "opens with AutoCAD DWG Launcher". To change, click the Change button and navigate to the right acad.exe file.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks.

I'll just try to remember that I need to have last used the version I wanted.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by acote View Post
    The proper way to open files, IMHO, is to open the program first and then browes to your drawings.

ACote
    why?

doesn't double click = open+browse = drag file into window
    aren't they all the same?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

1. It would eliminate the OPs problem
    2. When double clicking on a dwg file, without Acad aready running, you do not get drawing1 which we have config'ed to be an image of our template file. Without dawing1 you need to drill down to the template file vs. already opened drawing1 via deisgn center to import standard info.
    3. When browsing for dwgs all I want to see are dwgs
    4. If you already have Acad running why use another brower to locate files, Acad has a browser.
    etc...

ACote

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ronsarlo View Post
    why?

doesn't double click = open+browse = drag file into window
    aren't they all the same?
    Over the years, using different combinations of acad versions and windows versions, many odd types of behaviour have been seen after opening dwg files from an explorer window. There's no proof that there's a fault but people who always use acad's file/open sequence have not experienced those problems.
    So, why take the chance?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Over the years, using different combinations of acad versions and windows versions, many odd types of behaviour have been seen after opening dwg files from an explorer window. There's no proof that there's a fault but people who always use acad's file/open sequence have not experienced those problems.
    So, why take the chance?
    Add to that, multiple AutoCAD-based applications running in different profiles, many of which automatically do certain things to drawings (layers, data dictionaries, data-tracking blocks, custom objects...) which you don't necessarily want to be done in drawings from a different application. Always best to make sure the correct application is being used to open the correct drawing.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    I agree with acote but, if you must open files from an explorer window, windows should open files with whichever version was last closed.

Failing that, from an explorer window, click Tools\Folder options\File types. Select DWG, details should say "opens with AutoCAD DWG Launcher". To change, click the Change button and navigate to the right acad.exe file.

Windows isn't opening the last version that was closed.

I've tried to reassociate files both by right clicking on the file, "open with..." and from the tools menu. I'm browsing to the right .exe, but it doesn't take. Now I've even ruined it on my machine. I was just having problems with some others in our office.

I'd hate to have to uninstall 2009, though I'm not sure why.

Login to Give a bone

I used to have a "right click" mod that was for handling this issue. I apologize for not being able to find it as I hate it when people say things like "oh, I solved that years ago" without providing the solution. However, the little script was basically a registry hack that added the various AutoCAD exe files to the windows right click menu. Right click on a dwg, select which version from the list... it was an easy habit to get into. Here's a link on editing the registry to add the right click options: http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html

Hope it helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast