Thread: Extracting quantities and Lengths

Login to Give a bone

Angry Extracting quantities and Lengths

I'm trying to figure out how to get a list/schedule of conduit elbows and lenghts of conduit runs, thought it would be through the schedule feature but when i select the conduit/conduit fitting I can't get it to do anything. I thought there should be a way to do it since they already have the lenghts/fittings in the property sets, or is there another way to extract the info? I work for a electrical contractor and we are looking to get at least some preliminary quantities and total lenghts of the various conduits......or am I totally off base? I am using Autocad MEP 09 and any suggestions would be appreciated.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Extracting quantities and Lengths

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker.87963 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to get a list/schedule of conduit elbows and lenghts of conduit runs, thought it would be through the schedule feature but when i select the conduit/conduit fitting I can't get it to do anything. I thought there should be a way to do it since they already have the lenghts/fittings in the property sets, or is there another way to extract the info? I work for a electrical contractor and we are looking to get at least some preliminary quantities and total lenghts of the various conduits......or am I totally off base? I am using Autocad MEP 09 and any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Hi mwalker,

There are a lot of ways to do this. Can you post an example drawing with some conduits and fittings and add a table showing the table as you want it to look? With this information I can help you create a schedule.

The problem we have with these schedules is the inability of a schedule to subtotal data. We end up creating a schedule in AMEP exporting it to Excel subtotaling the data and importing the schedule back into the drawing. Sounds like a lot of work but it's not as bad as it seems.

Hope this helps,
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Here's a example drawing, nothing real fancy just need the quantity of say 30, 45, and 90 degree elbows broken down into their own totals and total lenghts of conduit broken down by size 3/4, 1, etc. Thought there was a way to do it but was having difficulty getting the scheduling thing to work, wouldn't let me add columns or the like when conduit/conduit fitting was selected. Any advice would be great.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

i got the table to work....but where the lenghts are it's off by a factor of 12....like if it's a 1ft pipe it lists it as a 1" pipe......seems to be consistant and thinking its a property set def but not sure about that....any ideas' from the augi crowd?

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker.87963 View Post
    i got the table to work....but where the lenghts are it's off by a factor of 12....like if it's a 1ft pipe it lists it as a 1" pipe......seems to be consistant and thinking its a property set def but not sure about that....any ideas' from the augi crowd?
    Hi mwalker,

It's great you got it working.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, you know how it is wo#k gets in the way of doing fun stuff. I did look at your file and I've posted an example schedule.

Also, check your units to make sure you are drawing things the way you think you are. The other thing to check is the property set format of the length property set definition (PSD) The property set format will affect the display of the PSD.

Hope this helps,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~