Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall to wall windows and corner joins

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Wall to wall windows and corner joins

Is the only way to fix these to go in with "edit cut profiles"?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall to wall windows and corner joins

Edit the wall profile i think should be last step if not a step at all...Explain more of your problem...

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can play around with the wall joins to get them to clean up correctly. Its a bit of a hassle, and at locations such as that, "order of operations" actually matters... IE, what you do first versus second, etc.

A few things to try, but im shooting from the hip:

Pull the storefront ends away so theyre not near the corner. Then try a trim of the two non-CW walls. Do they clean up correctly? If not, does either wall have an error for Highlighted walls overlap? Those warnings will jack the wall joins. If there isnt a warning, and they still wont join, pull back the ends of those walls so theyre clear of each other (not touching at all), and then re-trim it. THEN they should clean up. Then, click the CW's, and click the blue dots at the endds (that go in the corner) and set them to disallow join. That should stop them from monkeying with your corner condition. Then i would reference plane where the CW's are supposed to end, and drag the CW's to the ref. planes...

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Wall to wall windows and corner joins

I think the problem can be solved by editing the window family itself. Try adding a rectangular void that can contain the entire window within it and constrain the void to the reference planes that define the window opening too (this also goes for giving the void the the same dimensional properties as the window model). Save the window family as new file and load it into the model then try positioning it. The void should be able to effectively cut the wall geometry.

Gio Carino

http://www.prodigy-ae.com
    Global CAD + BIM + 3D Visualization Support

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the good replies.

I should have clarified that this is a place holder window family with 2d symbolic lines in plan. It's made from the OTB window template. It only has the opening and the 2d lines.

I'm curious about the idea of adding a void to the family. The regular cut opening object isn't sufficient? If not, then why use it ever? Do you do all of your window families with a void instead of an opening? Can this lead to other problems elsewhere? It's an item of interest to me because I'm making a window family for a large curved wall with about 14 panes in it and the tips I got here were from here for using a void. The void for the curved family was to get the radial cuts at the sides.

Login to Give a bone

I didnt realize those were window families and not Curtain Walls.

Still, i would go the route i suggested above and pull EVERYTHING away from the corner, trim the walls, get them to join properly, and then try putting the windows back in place by moving them, not placing them...

Always seems to work for me.

Login to Give a bone

I don't know about corner window families, but automatically embedded curtain walls coming to a corner have always left a "piece" of the host walls at the corner. The easiest way I have found to overcome this is to place a wall opening in each host wall that extends past the corner opening, and then place the CW in there. The only problem is that if the CW size changes, you then have to manually update the wall opening sizes.

Login to Give a bone

lol... Didnt we just have that discussion the other day? Hehehe... If i set walls to butt join in that condition, it lets me do it wthout leaving the sliver of wall... Not sure why though. Butt join may kill some conditions...

Login to Give a bone

We did indeed have that curtain wall discussion before. This is somewhat different. You are seeing two window families with only the opening and some 2d lines in plan. The corner is the intersection of two walls. It may change as design goes on, but if I have to output something mid stride, I'll need to be able to clean it up. I will try the above.

Login to Give a bone

Let us know if it works. If it doesnt, copy the two walls and the two windows in to a blank file and upload it, and ill try to straighten it out the way i was describing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast