Thread: Map 3D possibility

Login to Give a bone

Default Map 3D possibility

Hello!

My name is Oleg and i working on Ph.D. "Modeling and liquidation emergency situations(fire and etc.) in buildings and adjacent territory with 3D-GIS". Now i decide which GIS using: Esri ArcGIS or Autodesk [autocad,map 3d,revit mep, civil 3d].

I write here, because confused in Autodesk products and it possibilities.

In "short" my questions:

Architect of building - using autocad
    engineering infrastructure - using Autocad Revit MEP
    roads and underground pipes - civil 3d
    adding attributive info - i think, need use map 3d.

Can Autocad map 3d using "mix" of files from other autodesk programs into one file/DB?

Roughly speaking, i want have GIS for building (condominium) and adjacent territory with all floorplans for all buildings, infrastructure (ground/underground), some part of city infrastructure, with 3d view and inter-layer 3D topology(if i move pipe/cable bundle on 1st floorplan, it's automatic moves on ther floorplans, 3D need for this because pipe can be not only up/down(beetwen floors), but also sideways).

I look on Autodesk products because have common sense. And it's allow avoid work for importing(vectorization) data files (from autocad, revit, civil 3d) in same ArcGIS.

Can Building Information Modeling(BIM) help me in my question? Something like using in GIS files/DB from BIM, after construction of build complete.

Also i read about iMOUT (http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/....jsp?id=421503 , http://blog.wired.com/sterling/2007/...a_geospat.html) and writed email to leader (Geoff.zeiss@autodesk), but he not answered on letter.

With best regards, Oleg.

PS. Sorry for my english.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Map 3D possibility

Quote Originally Posted by wando View Post
    Hello!

My name is Oleg and i working on Ph.D. "Modeling and liquidation emergency situations(fire and etc.) in buildings and adjacent territory with 3D-GIS". Now i decide which GIS using: Esri ArcGIS or Autodesk [autocad,map 3d,revit mep, civil 3d].

I write here, because confused in Autodesk products and it possibilities.

In "short" my questions:

Architect of building - using autocad
    engineering infrastructure - using Autocad Revit MEP
    roads and underground pipes - civil 3d
    adding attributive info - i think, need use map 3d.

Can Autocad map 3d using "mix" of files from other autodesk programs into one file/DB?
    The Autodesk Revit Suite with the MEP and Structural add-ins can be used to create and design the building and structural (bridges/overpasses, dams) with BIM and those objects can be exported into Civil3D to create/design the site for them along with the utilities both underground and above ground. Autocad Map3D can add additional attributes to those features and populate the information into a spatial database, or link the BIM from the objects to allow access to the information and displaying the data using AutoCAD Map Guide.
    Also there are tools that will allow the features (Building, Roads, utilities etc) create in the software to add it to Google earth for display and viewing the BIM data.

Roughly speaking, i want have GIS for building (condominium) and adjacent territory with all floorplans for all buildings, infrastructure (ground/underground), some part of city infrastructure, with 3d view and inter-layer 3D topology(if i move pipe/cable bundle on 1st floorplan, it's automatic moves on ther floorplans, 3D need for this because pipe can be not only up/down(beetwen floors), but also sideways).
    Each of the applications mentioned allows that, Revit and Civil3D are both parametric that allows changing one object to change other objects dynamically as it is edited.

I look on Autodesk products because have common sense. And it's allow avoid work for importing(vectorization) data files (from autocad, revit, civil 3d) in same ArcGIS.

Can Building Information Modeling(BIM) help me in my question? Something like using in GIS files/DB from BIM, after construction of build complete.

Also i read about iMOUT (http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/....jsp?id=421503 , http://blog.wired.com/sterling/2007/...a_geospat.html) and writed email to leader (Geoff.zeiss@autodesk), but he not answered on letter.

With best regards, Oleg.

PS. Sorry for my english.
    You may also want to look at LandXplorer that uses CityGML files to view,navigate and display the BIM.
    As for Geoff getting back to you he's a busy man if you don't receive a email back send him another message and give him time to reply.