Thread: Derived parts not coming through to the Item Master

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Derived parts not coming through to the Item Master

Hey guys!

Let me first give you a rundown on what we're doing here. My company just recently purchased Productstream with the main purpose being that we will be able to use it to populate our ERP system with our CAD data and avoid the manual input that our production department is currently doing. Essentially, this will shorten days, sometimes weeks, of work down to a matter of minutes once our connection is established.

For now, we are simply trying to work out a "middle ground" file format that I will export from Productstream (CSV, XML, something like that) and then the Production department can import it to their ERP.

All is working except one fairly major factor. We work with aluminum extrusions that we purchase and then modify (cut to length, mitre possibly, drill holes, etc). Therefore, it is critical that we always know what extrusion is being used for each part. This enables the guys on the floor to know where to pick stock from for cutting. It also allows the production department to be able to order, check stock, etc. on upcoming jobs.

So, to try and establish this type of relationship right from the beginning, we created all the extrusions as sketches and saved these as parts in our library. We then derived the appropriate sketche needed into each new part we created and then extruded the profile to the required length and performed the remaining operations.

This works great, until Productstream. When I upload a file to the Vault, it shows the derived component underneath it in the "Uses" tab as I would expect. However, when I assign an item to that part, the derived component is ignored. Therefore, when we export the items, there is no record of these derived components!

We got PS just a short while ago, otherwise I could've tested this "presumed" functionality before completing the entire job. Now, as it always is, we are in a rush to get this job into the Production department and I just now have found this issue. If there is a way to do this, please let me know! If it can be done differently from the start, let me know that too for next time I guess. Any information you can provide to me here will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

Scott

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Derived parts not coming through to the Item Master

So, yeah, the only work around I can figure out right now is to create each derived part as an item (or assign items to them I guess is the correct terminology) and then edit EACH part's BOM, add a row, find the corresponding item, and then add it manually. Unfortunately, even this wouldn't be too bad if the ability to edit multiple BOM's at one time were available, but as it is, I have to do this manually to each of the 400+ unique parts. Luckily for me, this is a very small release. Next time I won't be so lucky, and I truly hope that a fix is found before then...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Derived parts not coming through to the Item Master

Just so you all know, although I'm not sure if anyone has actually read any of my posts on this forum, but I have discussed this issue with Autodesk and there is nothing I can do right now with the derived part process. They are looking into it, but we all know what that means...