See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Revit 2010 - New Ribbon UI

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2010 - New Ribbon UI

The developers aren't brain dead - lets wish the best.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

What’s the saying? Hope for the best, prepare for the worst... I guess it is hard to really gripe about the new UI without having actually had the opportunity to play with it, but I have played with the new ACAD UI and some of the Microsoft ribbons and I wasn't a fan.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Devin_82 View Post
    What’s the saying? Hope for the best, prepare for the worst... I guess it is hard to really gripe about the new UI without having actually had the opportunity to play with it, but I have played with the new ACAD UI and some of the Microsoft ribbons and I wasn't a fan.
    IMHO - Autocad and Revit should never be mentioned in the same sentence (not that you have). If the developers have done their work - which they must have done - this UI was supposed to been released with Revit 2009 (according to an Autodesk employee) a lot of foresight should have gone into it - everything should be fine. I have seen on the internet that Autodesk previewed the new UI to several user groups early in the year to gauge their reaction.

An early Beta release should hopefully occur just to make sure there will be no MAJOR disappointments.
    Last edited by barathd; 2008-12-10 at 09:02 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the computer trying to predict what tools I want use but if it is sucessful in making my life easier then great. My real concern is what new or improved tools are going to be under the hood? Seriously a pretty GUI doesn't mean much if the ever growing wish list has been completely ignored. Revit has been slowly getting better with each release so I'm not trying to dog them, I'd just rather see their efforts focused on functionality instead of looking futuristic. I have to agree with Arron's comment that a Photoshop type UI would be very nice. Although this hinges on letting us set personal window locations and sizes, an idea that has been asked for since as back as I can remember.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by AP23 View Post
    Or something like Catia's UI would be nice, especially when the project browser is embedded in the workspace.
    Kewl....Catia for Windows.... We were just getting that at Boeing when I left...
    Had two computers on my desk, a regular PC and a Unix machine with a 21" monitor....then they took both away and gave me a unix machine that also ran Windows NT (Or something like that...)...Then I left for the other side of the state.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    ACCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK if I have to deal with clicking a bunch of drop-down arrows to get to tools that aren't readily visible I will go NUTS!!!!!

It was bad enough when they took away all the line tool buttons and gave us only 3 with the rest of them mushed into a drop-down box around version 7 or 8. 2 clicks to pick a tool when it used to be only one, hundreds of times a day, is pretty irritating!
    Dude, you might want to go get fitted for a straight jacket now,then...

Login to Give a bone

I've gotta say rather than Autodesk copying Microsoft with the rather sloppy ribbon UI, or reinventing the wheel by implementing the "Steering Wheel", of which these two interface designs really don't do anything new, I wish Autodesk would do some real research into Human Interface Devices/Design and come up with something original that one-ups what we've all seen and used before.

There is a great new post by Wiimote creator Johnny Lee on some neat Pen-based input research. Yes, it is for a pen, but the point is there are people around that are thinking outside the box, not just re-inventing it. As a pen user, video 1 and 3 are very nice enhancements.

Login to Give a bone

I think that if you look at Microsoft's ribbon, it is a development of Revit's interface.

I would expect the ribbon to work very well with Revit.

Login to Give a bone

I'm a keystroke junkie anyway, so i hope all that stays intact.

The MS ribbon was whack at first but once i got used to it productivity definitely improved.
    Very intuitive and speedy interface for MS apps. Not sure what benefit it will have in Revit... you just cannot beat a keystroke for speed.

Login to Give a bone

Too bad the project browser, which needed the most work of any part of the UI looks the same. As to the rest, only time will tell.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast