Thread: Revit 32 bit vs 64 bit on laptop

I could stop if I wanted to zanzibarbob7's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 32 bit vs 64 bit on laptop

I have a new desktop coming with the Newhalem quad core and 12 GB RAM. No problem here as I will have Vista 64 Business installed.

The question is my Dell M90 laptop with 4 GB RAM. I have Revit 32 on it with Windows XP Pro. Is there an advantage to installing Vista 64 Business and Revit 64 on the M90? I'm not sure if any upgrades to the M90 are possible, or how expensive, but that could be a possiblity.

Also, I will be transfering everything to the new computer from my old desktop and plan to use the old one for my Wacom cintiq to work in Photoshop and Painter, but Revit 32 will still be there. My guess is that I can only have Revit on two machines per the license agreement. Is that true and does that installation of Revit become null after I authorize Revit 64 on the new machine?

It seems from other threads and Wes' treatise on the subject that Revit files produced on both versions should be compatible. Comments please!!
    Last edited by zanzibarbob7; 2008-12-07 at 04:40 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 32 bit vs 64 bit on laptop

Thomas,

We installed XP 64bit on one of the M90s here a few months back. We loaded Revit 64bit, Photoshop, AutoCAD 64bit, etc... the usual applications for architects. We also have a Cintiq board attached to it. There was a driver issue with the Cintiq early on, but other than that the M90 has been stable. There has not been a noticeable "explosion" of untapped power coming to life.

The big drawbacks have been that the M90 maxes out at 4GB of RAM and we don't have a usable VPN client. The 32bit installer for Checkpoint NGX does not work with 64bit.

Regards,

I could stop if I wanted to zanzibarbob7's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Jason,

I had my cintiq hooked up to the M90 and it has worked fine. The biggest question is " Will I see improvment with Revit 64 and Vista 64 on the M90?" I have no idea what a VPN is or most of the other 'under the hood' terms. I let my computer guy figure most of this out but he is not familiar with the workings of Revit and I want to make sure that I am not wandering into a hole. Thanks

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

One of the users here has posted benchmarks of Revit64 vs Revit32 and the results are encouraging for any Revit user. Most laptops will take 4Gb RAM sticks -- they're just obscenely expensive. But at 4Gb you're still getting Revit64's faster speeds... and ability to see more memory by the app.