Thread: Retaining Walls

Login to Give a bone

Default Retaining Walls

ok, here is the setup. I have an existing pond that i have to regrade and add a retaining wall to one side. using the grading tools it is easy enough to create a pond by itself. My problem is i have to had a wall to one end of the pond. basically making one side a vertical wall instead of a sloped bank. i have tried using the "wall breakline" feature in the surface menu and even tried making the wall with feature lines. am i missing a step? any help would be much appreciated.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Retaining Walls

Were your feature lines right on top of one another (i.e. horizontally the same) but had a different elevation? I don't think Civil 3D (or old LDD for that matter) handled vertical offsets without at least some horizontal offset very well. To make the wall's feature lines, do a stepped offset and give it a horizontal offset of 0.25 or something small like that. We've had it crash before trying to use 0.1 so I wouldn't go any smaller.

Hope this helps at least a little...

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Retaining Walls

ok I have attached a before and after attachment of what i am needing. basically i'm just regrading my pond and adding a retaining wall. what i am having problems with is geeting the retaining wall and the contours interacting with one another. constructing a "normal" pond is simple enough, but getting the contours to "trim" at the breaklines for the wall is becoming aggrevating. if anybody could help me figure this out it would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Basically, just use two featuren lines for your wall. The feature line along the top side of the wall will have the elevations of the top of wall and the feature line along the bottom side will have the bottom elevations. It doesn't need to be more complex then that. As far as using the Create Grading tools, I probably wouldn't unless you need to do a projection to a specific surface.

Login to Give a bone

What you could try doing is creating a surface for the pond that extends beyond the location of the retaining wall. You then create the 2 feature lines. the outside feature line represents the top of wall and gets elevated per whatever elevations you assign to it. The second feature line, which represents the grade at the bottom of the retaining wall inside of the basin, needs to be elevated based on a surface. You can then add those feature lines to the basin surface.

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the advice. i think grading in civil 3d is giving me the most problems.

Login to Give a bone

I would do it in 3 feature lines. 1 will be the one that controls the shape of the pond ; 2nd would be the bottom wall of the pond that follows the definition of the vertical profile of the bottom of the pond; and the last line would be the top of the wall. At least this way you can always manipulte the wall as needed and control the size of the pond by using that one feature line that you are using your pond grading criteria on.

Login to Give a bone

You can always use the grading tools to get the projection you want then explode and manipulate the resulting feature lines ( you will have to convert the 3D lines to feature lines)to your liking.

Login to Give a bone

I have come to learn, read their answers, I think very helpful ^^