Thread: Starting out

Login to Give a bone

Default Starting out

Hello all,

Our firm is just starting to use AutoCAD MEP 2009. We do everything from small restraunts to large multistory office buildings. It seems a little overwhelming at first.

I wanted to get some feedback on lessons learned when first starting out. What is the most helpful, things to avoid at all cost, etc...

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Starting out

In general, if you are just getting your feet wet, try not to over model. It's the old thought of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Stick to the basics. In the Arch world, it's suggested that you start your first project just sticking to things like walls, doors, windows..... The big stuff. Then you progress to the schedules, and complex curtain walls. The problem that can happen is that you may start to spend to much time trying to figure that one thing out. Then you get frustrated, mad, and generally angry at the program. Take Baby Steps. If something isn't working right and you need to get the drawings out the door, it's Ok to cheat at first. Do what you would have done with Acad. Draw a line if you have to. But don't give up on everything. The best way to keep people happy is to spend plenty of time up front getting things to work the you want them to. Once you have stuff built that works and looks they way you are used to seeing it, you won't have a bunch of mad Caddies. Or you need to let everyone know that it's not going to look the same as it used to, and if that's acceptable, try it OOTB. I found on my first project that I met lots of resistance because things weren't the same color as they were used to seeing. My response was for them to deal with it, or pay me to fix it, which will take me about 6-9mths to make everything look the way you want it to. Once they realize the amount of work it takes to change all the content, they are usually OK with what you get out of the box.
    Just some thoughts.
    Happy muddleing.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Starting out

Thanks David, I apprecaite the thoughts!

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Starting out

Sparks-

I was in the same situation. I came from AutoCAD '04 and was brought onto AMEP 2009. I realized it was still AutoCAD, just with new additions. I started off small by drawing & setting projects up just like I would with any other version of CAD I was use to. Before long I became comfortable with the new interface & began talking with others & we began developing a standard with the Project Navigator,Tools Palette, Project Browser and so on.

After a month, it's fun to see how comfortable you already are. By the 6th month, you begin to wonder what you were so worried about

Best Luck!