Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Network adjustment when you change invert

Heartland of the Mid-west, home of the Indy 500
    Login to Give a bone

Question Pipe Network adjustment when you change invert

I was under the presumption (and also an engineer that sat in a demonstration on time) that the whole pipe run would adjust if you edit the pipes properties, such as an invert…is this not the case or am I missing something in the help and user guide that I have researched in (also this Forum)?

I’ll try to explain the scenario for you…we have an 72” RCP and a 36” D.I. coming into a special structure, the 72” will be used as a storage pipe, as well as part of the distribution system to the final facility. The 36” invert was moved up towards the crown for 80% capacity of the 72” pipe, the upstream pipes didn’t adjust the slopes accordingly to the rules that I set to a minimum slope of .05% on the 36” pipe. I kept getting negative slope ratings that I had to go back and adjust the inverts one at a time. They are both (pipes & structures) within the same alignment, with station 10+00 at the most downstream structure.

Am I doing something wrong in the layout, pipe network properties, or the pipe properties side of this issue?

I’m very new to Civil 3D, so please explain in some detail for me.

Thank you for the assistance with this matter.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pipe Network adjustment when you change invert

I'm curious about this one too because I've never gotten the "RULES" to work either. I always have to manually change all the inverts and pipe slopes.

Login to Give a bone

I have found that rules seem to work best when used as a design check. The program tends to do unexpected things when using the rules to modify pipe information. Your best bet is to manually edit all of the information.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I feel along the same way as brainman. I use the rules to initially layout my pipes and get them close to where they should be. Then modify them as needed for the design and use the rules to see where you may have design issues, too steep, too deep, to shallow, to yallow (ok, I've never been good at ryhming).

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hailey View Post
    I use the rules to initially layout my pipes and get them close to where they should be.
    OK, how do you do that? We have simple rules for minimum cover, max slope, min slope, etc. and when you select "apply rules", all the boxes get crazy and return inverts BELOW 0, even if the downstream inverts are set correctly.

Login to Give a bone

Do you have the rules assigned to the pipes/structures? Just because the rule exists in the drawing doesn't mean the pipe/structure is using it. Another thing to check, did you assign a reference surface to the pipe network? If not, you'll have to go back to the structures and pipes and reasign the appropriate surface for each one.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Pipe Network adjustment when you change invert

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hailey View Post
    Do you have the rules assigned to the pipes/structures?
    Yes

Another thing to check, did you assign a reference surface to the pipe network?
    Yes

With these questions being yes, I'm getting correct function from the "Apply Rules" option, but the question from the original start of the thread is how come the network isn't moving the inverts for the entire pipe network after you change one of them, you guys are saying the rules are involved...well how do you add a rule to get the network to react with that type of rule applied. I don't see how you add a rule; it only gives the cover and slope options like the poster mentioned earlier. Sorry if I'm overlooking something so basic, but this is my first rodeo in C3D.

Thank you ahead of time for clarifying the confusion.

Login to Give a bone

Rules are only applied at creation time and when you go to the pipes menu and say HEY! CIVIL 3D! APPLY THESE RULES AGAIN! (sorry for shouting).

Outside of those two times, the rules only show if the object (pipe or structure) is in violation of the rule.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Pipe Network adjustment when you change invert

I'll assume your shouting at my reply...

The question still has not been addressed from this thread, as to the function of having an in sink, chorographic, unison change to the pipe network when you change an invert...like they show within demonstrations and marketing pitches (I saw it done in a webcast for Civil 3D 2008 on Autodesk.com).

How do you get it to work like Autodesk shows in the rollout marketing pitches? Change an invert or elevation depth within a structure, all pipes and structures adjust to correct depths for correct hydrology flow and rate. How is this accomplished in Civil 3D?

If you don't know the answer for this question, then just say so...If this function doesn't perform like they claim in the marketing examples…then just say so. It’s not the first case of bait and switch within our capitalistic society. Maybe they use an enhanced version of Civil 3D that’s not yet released in the marketplace; I don’t know. But I do know that I’ve read and experiment enough to realize that this product doesn’t function the way they showed or marketed it (my engineer as well). That is, unless someone can elaborate in detail how this is accomplished, instead of shouting the same replies of useless information of applying rules. What rules can you apply to get the software to function the way that I saw in the marketing pitch?

I don’t mean to be curt or offensive to anyone within this form, but I think it’s a straight forward question that multiple users may have as well, so I posted it. I would think that a direct answer without shouting to one another would be the best course of action.

I hope that this reply finds you well and happy on this New Years Eve! Be safe and prosper in 2009.

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Pipe Network adjustment when you change invert

He wasn't shouting at you, he was being sarcastic towards the C3D program.

As it is a pain in the arse from the "old school" LDT, which us "loyal" users now have to learn a whole new way doing "the same old thing" with a new program. "Just let Land Desktop disappear from your brain while you are learning C3D", very funny. What part of the claw hammer do I use to "let Land Desktop disappear from my brain"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast