See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Login to Give a bone

Red face I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Is there an easy way to create a sheet set that won't add in the layout name to each sheet? I'm using the sheet set names to make our drawing index, and I don't want to have to edit out the layout name for each page. (We don't use the layout name in our sheet naming.)

Thanks!

Heartland of the Mid-west, home of the Indy 500
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Do a search for "Sheets Happen". It's a document that will give you the answer on page 5, number 4. Specify Import Options...it has pictures too

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Thank you Openwheeler, however, I want to take out the Layout Name not the File Name Prefix. I want the File Name and ONLY the File Name as my Sheet Name. Doing as you suggested would only work if we already had our Layout Tabs named the same as the Drawing File Name, which we don't currently do...

So now my question is, if there isn't a way to take out the Layout Name automatically when making the Sheet Set, is there a way to make a link between the Layout Tab and the drawing's name? I know you can make a Field that will pick up the Tab name, but can't seem to find a way to go the other way and insert a Field into the Layout Tab...any other ideas? Maye a LISP routine using CTAB?

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Your welcome, but it doesn't sound as if I was of any help to you. I'll suggest another area within the "Sheets Happen" document that could be what you’re looking for, but I don't think it is...look at Step 11: Creating New Sheets, number 11; this may help.

If it doesn't, then you answer may be NO YOU CAN’T and probably a lisp routine would be the best bet. Did you search for similar sheet set topics? This topic sounds familiar to me…my researching and reading this forum on sheet naming before I found Heidi’s information; I can’t remember for sure, but I'll look in my archives of posts, and get back to you if I find something. If these all fail you, I can suggest going to the source of my education for sheet sets, and that would be Autodesk University Instructor that created the document and the webcast for "Sheets Happen". Her name is Heidi Hewitt. You can join AU for free and contact her, or she has a blog that you can go to; just Google her name and you’ll find it. I'm sure she will answer any questions you may have, or point you in the correct direction to solve your dilemma.

Hope this helps in someway.

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Openwheeler, it's ok, I really appreciate you trying. I never post questions to any forum without searching for answers first. Forums are where I go when I've exhausted my resources and patience. That's why you don't see me post very often, as I'm usually able to find what I need if it's common enough for me to find it.

I've been to AU, and I know all about the handouts you can get online, in fact I've met Heidi. It's a good idea to go to the source, so I guess that's what I'll do. In the meantime I think I'll repost my LISP question in the LISP forum, maybe someone has an answer for that.

Cheers!
    Last edited by crystalp; 2009-01-07 at 12:30 AM.

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Crystal, hopefully I can help but I think Openwheeler was right. Look into the "Step 11" part like he said. If you use the SSM to create your sheets it will name the layout tab for you upon creation.

I used the SSM to handle a project index for a set that had well over 100 sheets. It was a little tough to get a handle on at first. But it is possible.

If your current layouts are named in your SSM "index" but the layout tabs in the drawing are not the same name, it shouldn't matter. The SSM should pull the info from the SSM "sheets" tab.

Maybe you can post a screen shot of the issue with some notes so we have a better understanding of the issue.

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

I have attached an example for your review. The ideal situation would be to only have to type the name for the drawing once. In this case T-A-01.dwg . Then have the Drawing Name link to a field for the Sheet Number for the Title Block and for the Index. As mentioned, you have the option to turn off the Prefix of the Drawing Name when it's naming the Sheets in the Sheet Set, but you can't have it take off the Layout Name. At this company they don't name the layouts. Most of what they do is for Microsoft, and naming the layouts is not standard since they only use 1 layout per drawing. (I don't like it, but that's what I have to work with.) So when you make the Sheet Set you have to manually edit out the "Layout1" off the end of the Sheet Name, so when it's linked to the Index and Drawing Number the layout's name won't show up.

I brought forth the idea of naming the layout tab the same as the dwg and then using the option to take out the dwg name prefix as a work around, but the users are really not a fan of that idea, especially since we have to make PDF's all the time and they have to be named the file name only, so we have to edit out any tab names manually. (When they are all "Layout1" you can use batch renamers to quickly edit it out, but if the layouts were named the same the file names you would still have to do it one by one.

I hope this makes more sense...thank you for looking into this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

IMHO -- I don't see you getting best of both worlds though the Sheet Set functionality, I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's not going to happen for you. I would look at the lisp forum like you had mentioned. It seems to be the best direction since you workers won't sway to naming layout tabs. Maybe in the future releases will have better ability to manipulate and customize. Wish-list...wish'n upon a star!

Sorry I couldn’t help you more. Hope you find a way to do this. If you do, could you update use with your findings? I would like to know, and would appreciate it very much.

Login to Give a bone

Hey Crystal. I'm trying to figure this one out. I know I did it. I attached my example so you can see it can be done. I'm just trying to figure out how to get you there.

If you look at the SSM sheet list in my example, you will see that the sheet number lives in the "number" area and the sheet name lives in the "sheet title" area. In your case I think your sheet number was shown as "1" and the sheet title was "T-A-01", which is actually your sheet number.

You will also notice that my index, which was placed by simply right-clicking on the SS title and choosing "insert sheet list table" has a column for the sheet number followed by a column for the sheet title. I also use that same information in the SSM to pull the sheet number and the sheet name for the title block like you have done. I think you may actually be pulling the sheet number from the wrong place, leaving you no place to pull the sheet title from.

Of course, you will need to work on your sheet list table to achieve the desired results. We have a template table we use for ours built around the corporate image, thus the result shown. Yours will vary I'm sure, but the table styles editor has tons of "options" there just like the dim styles editor does. Hopefully this helped a bit more.

Login to Give a bone

One more pic for you to look at. I posted this one so you understand what I'm saying about where each part of the sheet number and title "lives". Take a look at the highlighted area to the left. This should be your "sheet number" and is what I was saying about yours appeared to be "1" instead of "T-A-01". The area to the right is for the sheet title, which in your case would have been "drawing index / cover sheet".

If you get a handle on this, you will certainly run into a situation like the rest of us where your backslash doesn't work. SSM does not like special characters. There was a post on here that listed all the "code" for the ones you can use. Find it, print it, know it, love it.

Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast