See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Heartland of the Mid-west, home of the Indy 500
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

I'm not being problematic for this topic, but trying to give input with the subject...aren't your layout tabs named as the sheet numbers Tim? She's not using named layout tabs. How can you get this accomplished without sheet named layout tabs and they don't want to change the way they do sheet layout naming? You did give some great information for future forum searchers though. Thanks for that.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Openwheeler, you got it exactly. I know this would be easier to figure out if I could get my users to name the layouts, but it would cascade into problems elsewhere for them, so it's a battle for another time. That's why I'm here, to get other ideas. I appreciate everyone's input on this, if you think of anything else let me know. If I do figure it out, I'll fill you in as well! For now, I'm off to go create some Sheet Sets and manually edit out all the layout names! :-0

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

True that our layouts "should be" named the same as the sheet. But if I'm pulling the info from the SSM list, I'm not sure it would matter. I have had sheet lists that had layouts named wrong or not named and was still able to pull the index from the SSM info without problem. That is why I was pointing her to the places the info should be located. It appeared that her info was not in the same location as mine. I was hoping that might be the issue.

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Quote Originally Posted by TeriblTim View Post
    I have had sheet lists that had layouts named wrong or not named and was still able to pull the index from the SSM info without problem. That is why I was pointing her to the places the info should be located. It appeared that her info was not in the same location as mine. I was hoping that might be the issue.
    Then this should work for her, and I if a case like this should arise. She needs to test this hypothesis with her situation. So she wants’ to pull the name from the index field or whatever location it may be instead of the layout tab name...how can you associate the field for the sheet name? Sorry if I'm not getting this yet. Please bear with me. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Tim, I see what you are saying. The problem is, in order to get the SSM list to look the way I want, I have to manually edit out all the layout names in the list. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Once the Sheet Set names are correct in the list, I can make the index just like you did, since you are correct that it doesn't matter what the actual Tab says, the index is based on the SSM list.

In a perfect world I would be able to just name the dwg file the way I want it, and then have that info link to the SSM list, but SSM automatically puts in the name of the layout too. As I mentioned before, if I had the layout tab named the same as the dwg name, then I could choose the (No Prefix) option when setting up the SS, so it would leave out the dwg name (so I wouldn't have duplicates), but as discussed, that's not in the cards for me right now. Thank you for your help though!

Login to Give a bone

Yea, if you have a drawing set that is pre-existing, you are pretty much hosed short of a lot of manual "do-over".

Just so I'm clear, your current drawing set has all the sheet numbers in the SSM listed as "1, 2, etc", right? And that is what you are saying you would have to go back and manually edit, right? Short of all that editing, I don't know if I can help.

I like to use the SSM "Create New Sheet" option to create my new drawings as it will name the file, name the layout tab, name the drawing in the SS list and associate the sheet to the Sheet Set all upon creation. Moving forward I would recommend this method for maximum effect. It has proven to be the least amount of info entering with the largest amount of return. There is still an option upon sheet creation to name the actually .dwg file something else should you choose. And don't forget, you can rename .dwg files from the SSM "renumber / rename" option as long as the drawing you want to rename is not the one you have open.

I spent a lot of time creating a master "Sheet Set" template file to use for creating our sheet sets. Then I spent a lot of time creating links to the SSM info in our standard templates to draw all that info out. It may seem like a lot of work up front, but trust me, the return is outstanding. Not to mention the look on the bosses face when he sees the time it saves once it's all working right.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: I don't want the layout name in my sheet set...

Way to give the nuts and bolts on the SS feature...I want my boss to

Thanks for the motivation to keep trying to master perfection in the SSM; not there yet, but I'm trying too. Now all I need is time to do this task. Lol

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Openwheeler View Post
    . . .Thanks for the motivation to keep trying to master perfection in the SSM; not there yet, but I'm trying too. Now all I need is time to do this task. Lol
    I'm not quite there yet. I still struggle with some stuff. But it gets better the more you do it. You'll find new ways to demand more out of it as you get use to it. As for the time to do it, I'm in the same boat as you. I think that's why they pay me salary!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12