• Don't understand

0 0%
  • You can already do this

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type in distance when dragging pick points

All AUGI, all the time J. Grouchy's Avatar

Lightbulb Type in distance when dragging pick points

Self-explanatory. You can type in a distance when drawing, when moving, etc....
    But when you pick, say a line endpoint, and want to drag it a given distance...you can't key in the distance. As a heretical comparison to AutoCAD...you CAN type the distance when dragging the grips and, in my opinion, this was a major convenience upgrade (I believe they introduced that in R14).

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Default Re: Type in distance when dragging pick points

Quote Originally Posted by grav8e
    ...But when you pick, say a line endpoint, and want to drag it a given distance...you can't key in the distance...
    You can...if you enter the distance you want it to become it works. So a line 22ft long, grab the grip, drag...enter 26ft and the line/wall become 26ft. If you want to enter just the additional distance, do the same except type =22+4 and the wall extends to 26ft.

Either way, you can....

I have two problems with that.

1. You have to be holding the mouse button while typing (at least the first key typed)...not as efficient if I am right-handed and I use the number pad.

2. Typing a formula? Why can't I just say "I want to drag one end of this line, which is 24'-6", 32" to the right" ? I either have to add this in my head (not conducive to quick drafting) or type =24'6+2'8 (which involves either going back and forth around the keyboard or using the shift key a few times...all this typing also slows me down).

I loved just clicking the grip, pulling the line to the right and quickly entering 32 [enter] (all with only one hand). Voila!
    Last edited by J. Grouchy; 2004-10-11 at 03:35 PM.

...You have to be holding the mouse button while typing (at least the first key typed)...not as efficient if I am right-handed and I use the number pad...
    As soon as you type something you don't have to continue to hold the mouse button...

If you don't like how it works, that's fine...I only posted because your post stated it wasn't possible. It is possible, just different.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2004-10-11 at 04:03 PM.

I actually DIDN'T know it was possible. But I do have a problem with having to hold the mouse button while I find a key. I actually wouldn't have even tried doing it that way since it seems counter-intuitive to CAD efficiency.

There is a way to move the end of a line by a specified distance by typing without holding down the mouse button. Instead of selecting the line and then dragging the end control (the blue circle) move near the end of the line and tab until you see a small square at the end of the line. Select it. (This will only work if the line isn't joined at that end.) You have now selected the "shape handle" that controls the end of the line. Here are two ways to move it a specified distance:

1) Invoke the Move command. Click on the line end, move the mouse in the direction you want to extend the wall, type the distance you want to move (note that you don't have to hold the mouse while you do this), press Enter.

or

2) Find a temporary dimension that controls the position of that line end. Select it. Put an "=" at the start of it add "+ 3" at the end (to move 3 feet). For example, if it was 2' 6" it becomes =2' 6"+3.

...But I do have a problem with having to hold the mouse button while I find a key...
    I've been using Acad a lot today (I've lots of years of experience using it btw). I found the entry of values to be as "strange" from my perspective...I'm use to being able to grab a grip, drag a bit, punch a number then let off...enter what I want, hit enter. I can enter the additional value like you're asking for but I have to make sure I carefully keep the line headed where I want. (keep in mind I'm using a pen tablet monitor so it's not the same as moving a mouse in a direction)

Anyway...just another perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by irwin
    There is a way to move the end of a line by a specified distance by typing without holding down the mouse button. Instead of selecting the line and then dragging the end control (the blue circle) move near the end of the line and tab until you see a small square at the end of the line. Select it. (This will only work if the line isn't joined at that end.) You have now selected the "shape handle" that controls the end of the line. Here are two ways to move it a specified distance:

1) Invoke the Move command. Click on the line end, move the mouse in the direction you want to extend the wall, type the distance you want to move (note that you don't have to hold the mouse while you do this), press Enter.
    This is more acceptable, I suppose...although it does involve TWO MORE STEPS (tab key and move command) than I'm used to. They're already almost there...they have "grips" already, only they aren't 'sticky' in that they have to be held with the mouse button. I'm not sure I understand why we have to tab to get to the 'sticky grips' in Revit.
    I will give in on this issue because it looks like it is possible...just less speed friendly and maybe this wishlist item could be to improve it and maybe give users the option of typing inches or feet.
    Last edited by J. Grouchy; 2004-10-12 at 12:47 PM.

All AUGI, all the time

Irwin,
    What are the functional differences between the "end control" dot and the "shape handle" square? Are there other instances where it would make more sense to use one over the other?

Only difference I can see is the shape handle constrains movement to one direction (in line with the object) and the end control dot allows you to drag the end anywhere in the work plane. I can't see why Revit divided the single AutoCAD grip into two controls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast