Thread: Projection issues?

Login to Give a bone

Default Projection issues?

I work for a Telecom company and we have a lot of maps for our exchanges. We are trying to consolidate them. The problem I'm running in to is getting all the different maps to come in to my new main drawing where they should. Some drawings come in correctly(I'm querrying the dwg's in to the main dwg) and some don't. I'm fairly green in the AutoCAD department, all of my previoius experience is with ESRI products. Also I don't know how these drawings were created as they were done prior to my employment. I've tried assigning the same coordinate system to the drawings and they still come in incorrectly.
    I would also like to thank JeramiahM for aswering my imagery question. Now I know what to watch for.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Projection issues?

A few things to look at in the dwgs that do not come in correctly are look at the units the dwg is in, is it in decimal or engineering or arch units? ID a point in the lower left hand of the dwg, if it is close to 0,0 then it's not georeferences to real world coordinates.
    To fix some of them or to make them fit you should be able to locate a few known points in the dwg then move, transform, rubbersheet to the the real world locations from any source available to you. (Tiger Data, Country/City or State GIS center, aerials) Then assign a coordinate system to them.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Murph. I checked some of the dwg's and they have coordinates in decimal degrees. As an example; two of the dwg's are in the same coordinate system. I picked a road intersection common to both maps and they have different coordinates at that location. I'm guessing what happened is the objects in the dwg got moved......

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by musty View Post
    Thanks Murph. I checked some of the dwg's and they have coordinates in decimal degrees. As an example; two of the dwg's are in the same coordinate system. I picked a road intersection common to both maps and they have different coordinates at that location. I'm guessing what happened is the objects in the dwg got moved......
    Set the proper coordinates on all drawings for insertion then type BASE on your command prompt to maker sure all are the same. Then do the INSERT.

Normally I would use 0,0 as the insertion point.

I hope this helps.