Thread: Sharing coordinates with a DWG site plan...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Sharing coordinates with a DWG site plan...

Alright, I have never used the Shared Coordinates command but I'm about to start up a new project that has multiple buildings placed all over. I'm not gendering no site plan in Revit because of the complexity and size. So I figure maybe to use SC and that would help me control the separate linked files on the site plan once I start setting up the buildings.

I want to be able to Link the Revit models in and have them fall in place...NOW the only thing is i have no clue on where to start or how to set this up. I've been looking everywhere but nothing that is really help! So if anyone knows or has done something along the lines of what I mention above please help any help would be very helpful!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sharing coordinates with a DWG site plan...

Here's a thread I keep handy for reference:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=92171

Look at the 2nd post by dduarte. I used that workflow for my current project, the first time I have tried doing a separate site file and linking the site and building into each other, and it has worked out beautifully so far. I think the key, though, is to have a good quality, accurate CAD file, with accurate elevations and things in the right place on the Z-axis. I have another project where this is not the case, and I cannot get the building and site links to be in the right place relative to each other, no matter what.

Now, since you're doing several buildings on a site, it is my understanding that you would link the site into each building file, move/rotate/change elevation of the site link as need to fit the building, acquire and share coordinates, and then link that building back into the site file by shared coordinates. This should make each building show up in the correct place on the site. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sharing coordinates with a DWG site plan...

Seems like it will all be helpful information. Thanks for the asst.