Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can pipes connect to the Face of a rectangle box?

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Can pipes connect to the Face of a rectangle box?

Civil 3d 2008 Pipe Network.

I've been looking for the answer to this for months and haven't seen the answer. Given a rectangular storm box 4x4 or 4x6, or any other dimension, must we connect the pipes to the center of structure? In subdivision design many of our storm boxes are situated where if you draw center to center the pipe will cut through the corner of the box. This is a nono. I need to attach the FL IN, and FL OUT to the middle of one of the faces. In land desktop this was achieved by putting a null structure at the in and out so we would build A4 IN -> A4 -> A4 OUT.

Is it possible to connect a pipe to a box face and not the center? I will learn to build custom boxes if necessary. I dabbled with tutorials on Part Builder but no where did i find the answer.

John.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can pipes connect to the Face of a rectangle box?

That would require some custom part builder work.

Login to Give a bone

Do you then accept that all storm is designed center to center? This is letting the program dictate what you can design. What is the best work around?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Civil Engineering Moderator civil3Dguide's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can select the pipe after you have built your network and it will slide around in the structure, and remain in this position until the structures is moved, and that time it will reset and you will have to move it once more.

Select the pipe, select the blue pick box in the center of the structure and slide it to the location/angle you want it to enter your structure. The length of the pipe will remain to be the same distance, to the center of the box.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Barrett View Post
    You can select the pipe after you have built your network and it will slide around in the structure, and remain in this position until the structures is moved, and that time it will reset and you will have to move it once more.

Select the pipe, select the blue pick box in the center of the structure and slide it to the location/angle you want it to enter your structure. The length of the pipe will remain to be the same distance, to the center of the box.
    I'm gonna have to try that one out for myself. Thanks man!

Login to Give a bone

If you want to do a little programing you could create a program that could do it. The starting of a VBA program may be found on this page: http://style.civil3dreminders.com/pipetoinsidewalls it moves the pipe to the face of a structure, but it could be modified to go through the midpoint of the wall.

Login to Give a bone

great ideas, and thanks but we need the FL and Pipe lengths to be to face of wall not just the graphical representation. I actually did come up with a method using a small headwall as a null structure and placing it at the interior face center. this lets you assign fl at the box edge in and out.

Heartland of the Mid-west, home of the Indy 500
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Re: Can pipes connect to the Face of a rectangle box?

Quote Originally Posted by Spell View Post
    I actually did come up with a method using a small headwall as a null structure and placing it at the interior face center. this lets you assign fl at the box edge in and out.
    There has to be a better way then just tricking it for the scenario. I read a quit bite of peoples "work around" with pipes, is this the nature of the beast with Civil 3D? Most of the situations seem to be some basic request that one would need for pipe network layout and design. I don't know, maybe my expectations are just to high for this software.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Barrett View Post

It works but it definitely isn't a pretty solution. Thanks for the info though.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can define a custom Label style that will label to the inside face of the wall of a structure and have it adjust the length in the label as well. (C3D 2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast