Thread: Tool Palette copy from one computer to another computer

Login to Give a bone

Default Tool Palette copy from one computer to another computer

Dear Friends,

Does any one knows how we can copy the entire tool Palette from one computer to another computer tool palette, i know how to copy thru the Design Centre is that

If all files are in the same folder, you can create a toolpalette using Design Center.

- Open Design Center

- In the folder tree on the left, brows to the folder containing the blocks and click on it to make it active then

- Right-click on the folder and select "Create Tool Palette of blocks" the entire blocks will be in the tool pallets as shown in a different Tab with same name folder as shown in the design center

But here again i wanted to emphasis that my question is how can i copy the tool palette from one system to another system as we are working 10CAD in one group and in one Project

Thanks a lots in advance

Binu Mathew
    President
    FOCUS Kuwat
    (Forum Of Cadd UserS-Kuwait)

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tool Palette copy from one computer to another computer

1st I would recommend putting it in a network location that all 10 systems have access to, then repathing your tool palette location to read the network version.
    but other than that, right click on the palette, Customize Palettes, then right click in the palette and select export. on the other station go to customize palettes and import the palette you wish to use. You can also attempt to copy the actual atc file and paste it into the other user's tool palette folder, but I cant guarantee that will work.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks a lots.... But i could not find the export facility in the Tool palette menu, however i have seen that i can browse a path to a common network folder, but again having a question is that all the blocks are created in layer 0 and we are draging from the tool palette the blocks will be in layer 0 so again we need to change the property of the layer in each blocks and in each 10CAD workstations, also i have seen we can find out our current tool palette path by typing on the command line setq a (getvar '*_TOOLPALETTEPATH)) we can get the path but i confused how can i path my all blocks in my all collegues computer for one specific project, if any one can give more explantions would be really appreciated

Thanks again
    Binu Mathew
    From Kuwait

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BinuM View Post
    Thanks a lots.... But i could not find the export facility in the Tool palette menu, however i have seen that i can browse a path to a common network folder, but again having a question is that all the blocks are created in layer 0 and we are draging from the tool palette the blocks will be in layer 0 so again we need to change the property of the layer in each blocks and in each 10CAD workstations, also i have seen we can find out our current tool palette path by typing on the command line setq a (getvar '*_TOOLPALETTEPATH)) we can get the path but i confused how can i path my all blocks in my all collegues computer for one specific project, if any one can give more explantions would be really appreciated

Thanks again
    Binu Mathew
    From Kuwait
    Are you using regular AutoCAD or one of the Verticals? I understand that in ACA the export function is not available. My understanding is that if you have the tool palette in a network location, you can right click on the tool, set the property and it should become available to everyone. I'm not sure but I think from past experience, I had to have everyone that was shared to the palette exit autocad while I made the updates. but if you make the changes before you share it to everyone, everyone should have access to those changes after it has been shared.

Login to Give a bone

here is how I would do it.
    first create a folder on a server that all of your designers will have access to, say... X:\custom. In that folder create 2 other folders Blocks (to store your blocks so everyone has access to them) and toolpalettes (for your shared toolpalettes)
    Next in AutoCAD Tools/options change your "Tool Palettes File locations" to X:\custom\toolpalettes.
    Now create or import the tool palettes you wish to share.
    Finally set the other seats of AutoCAD to same search path for tool palettes.
    This can get kind of ugly if you change view styles and palette groups won't work on the other seats unless you give them a copy of your profile.aws file.
    You may want to make it so that only one PC has "write" rights to this folder and the rest have "read" rights that way you have a bit of control and it is less likely to break from someone else editing the files.
    Hope that made sense... let me know if you need more help.