See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Annotation Scale on a Multi-Scale Drawing

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Annotation Scale on a Multi-Scale Drawing

Hello AUGI Members,

I am currently in the process of migrating all of our text, dimensions, blocks, etc. to be annotative to take advantage of this powerful capability. However, I do have a question pertaining to drawings where I will have sepatate details drafted in to different scale factors. I might have steel details drafted to 3/4"=1'-0" scale and concrete details drafted to 1/2"=1'-0" scale and some connection details drafter to 1-1/2"=1'-0" scale etc.

Before the annotative scaling capability was available each of the various scale details would be drafted in model space with components scaled to correspond to their scale factor. The details in model space would all be drafted in different text, dimension and block sizes and in paper space the different viewport scales would display each detail scaled properly.

With annotative scaling active details drafted in model space would all display their text, dimensions and blocks, etc. to the scale factor that was current resulting in all of the details in model space adopting the active scale factor. In paper space the viewports would control the display scale factor for each corresponding detail.

Is there a way, using annotative components, to have the details drafted in different scale factors to display to their drafted scale factor and not the active scale factor....??

Thank you for any assistance.....!

Regards,
    Vince

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Annotation Scale on a Multi-Scale Drawing

Quote Originally Posted by vferrara View Post
    Hello AUGI Members,

I am currently in the process of migrating all of our text, dimensions, blocks, etc. to be annotative to take advantage of this powerful capability. However, I do have a question pertaining to drawings where I will have sepatate details drafted in to different scale factors. I might have steel details drafted to 3/4"=1'-0" scale and concrete details drafted to 1/2"=1'-0" scale and some connection details drafter to 1-1/2"=1'-0" scale etc.

Before the annotative scaling capability was available each of the various scale details would be drafted in model space with components scaled to correspond to their scale factor. The details in model space would all be drafted in different text, dimension and block sizes and in paper space the different viewport scales would display each detail scaled properly.

With annotative scaling active details drafted in model space would all display their text, dimensions and blocks, etc. to the scale factor that was current resulting in all of the details in model space adopting the active scale factor. In paper space the viewports would control the display scale factor for each corresponding detail.

Is there a way, using annotative components, to have the details drafted in different scale factors to display to their drafted scale factor and not the active scale factor....??

Thank you for any assistance.....!

Regards,
    Vince
    Well, first I would recommend to ALWAYS draw in model space at full scale (1:1). You can then use annotative dimensions and text, leaders, etc to annotate your details. You can right click on a dimension and add an annotative scale to it, or you can simply change the scale with the scale list in the Acad task bar (bottom right). When you create your viewports, the drawing including text and dims will scale correctly depending on what scale you set your viewport to. There's no need to scale up the details in model space.

When you change scales in model space, you will notice that the annotation for the drawings that do not belong at that scale will look incorrect. This is okay as it will be sorted out when you scale your viewport. If you'd like, you can create a new drawing for each new scale so it doesn't bother you. Another tip is to set SELECTIONANNODISPLAY to 0. It will eliminate the "ghosting" of annotative dims and text when they are selected.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Annotation Scale on a Multi-Scale Drawing

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Well, first I would recommend to ALWAYS draw in model space at full scale (1:1).
    That's the most important part, whether you use annotative dimensions or not . Hopefully, the rest follows.