See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: AutoCAD Training

Login to Give a bone

Question AutoCAD Training

Hi everyone,
    I have 19 year old son looking for some assistance. While I am an architect and work with CAD daily, I am not sure where to turn, except to you guys because your always so helpful. My son, Chris, attended auto mechanics trade school for awhile and then decided it is not what he wants to do. He does not, at this point, want to go to college. He is working about 35 hours a week at our local library. He took a CAD class in high school so he knows some basics. He is thinking it would be good to take CAD training classes but would like to take them on-line so he could do it around his work schedule which varies from week to week. He would prefer some on line classes from an accredited school of some sorts. The question is, where do we begin to search out such information?
    Thanks
    Rick

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD Training

Hi Rick

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the Coffee Without CAD Forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic (I believe the Coffee Without CAD Forum will be spring cleaned once in a while).

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Have a browse of the following threads (should get you going in the right direction)...

Looking for drawing assignments....

model-layout

Creating Templates - Where to begin?

custom design center

Plot -vs Print

Books for Acad 2005 (WAS ..Attachments on the AUGI site)

World View

Learning 3D drawings in AutoCAD 2005

Online tutorials, learning Cd's, books

+

Don't forget about AUGI's Education area (AUGI Training Program / AU Class Handouts)...

Education

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2007-04-17 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Links updated.

Login to Give a bone

Also the "Getting Started Guide" that comes with AutoCAD LT 2005 is really well written and would be a good place for him to start. It covers most of the basic commands that are taught in any of the college level course I've ever taken. I don't think its available for download but you can purchase it online at the Autodesk Store. There are alot of website that offer streaming video instruction online but its more of just watching than an official online course. If your Architectural Firm uses AutoCAD and is on the subscription program, You have access to online E-Learning through that although I don't know if your firm would allow your son to use it. His best bet is to probably get a book or two and learn that way. I've never personally come across a full fledged online course for AutoCAD and I think its something that would be very difficult to present online. I have a few things I've gathered for my staff but its more geared towards Architectural Desktop as opposed to just straight Acad but you're welcome to them if you'd like,also, my father taught beginner and Advanced AutoCAD at the high school level(he's retired now). Ill see if he still has any of his notes and exercises still around and if so ill post them here for everyone.

Login to Give a bone

Check with your local vocational schools. If they don't have anything, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone for the info so far. I believe he has checked the local tech/vocational schools. At least I hope he has since I gave him that thought a few weeks ago! I think I will lead him to Augi and let him read up on these threads.

Login to Give a bone

When I was looking for a school to go to, online was my first choice too, but I couldn't find any. I took night classes for a while so I could still go to work, maybe that is an option your son should look into
    Hope it all works out
    Tommy.

Login to Give a bone

http://www.cadinstitute.com/

Try this web site. It might be what your son is looking for......Good luck.

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

here's another online program. http://www.educationdirect.com/autocad/index.html
    it would be much cheaper to just buy some books though, at least to get his feet wet and see if he'd like it...
    i DON'T recommend a school like ITT Tech. those are wayyy OVERpriced imo.

Login to Give a bone

Is he looking for "training" or "direction"? Meaning "he's interested in CAD, but not so interested in mechanical or architectural design and wants to what else you can do with it?"

Do you have a local user group? That might be a good place to go for the latter.