Thread: Office to office workflow, creating a local file

Login to Give a bone

Default Office to office workflow, creating a local file

Hi,
    I had a question regarding a remote office working on a project in another office. Our company has two offices connected by a company network. However, our network connection tends to be very slow.

Our revit central file is in my office and i want another designer in our other office to create a local file at his office that he can work on our central file.

Right now, he opens the central file that is in my office, but it takes a very long time for him to open, then once it's open , he does a save as to his local computer in his office. He is then able to save his changes back to our office central file using his newly created local file via the network .

My question is: Is there a way this remote user can just copy the central file to his office without having to open the central file through the office to office network and then do a save-as? If there is a way he can just copy the central file (or possibly another person's local file from our office across the the network and start using that, this would be great and probably much faster. Any help with this would be great.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Office to office workflow, creating a local file

If he can open the Central Model in one office, and save it on his machine, in his office, he should be able to do a copy/paste from the server to his local machine. Saving back to the central model from his location may also be time consuming. a couple options that you have is to 1) get a WAN Accelerator on both ends of the network, to help speed up the access/saving times, or 2) possibly using remote desktop, so he logs into a machine in your office, from his desktop, that way the file doesnt physically have to move, the network is only sending picks/clicks from the mouse & keyboard. That would help save on bandwidth when saving, and not have such a lag when saving the file.

Login to Give a bone

to make a local file, he can just copy the central via windows explorer and it will be a local file. However as stated, it will be slow without some type of acceleration or a remote desktop situation.

If you are trying to give him a totally seperate file to work on that isn't linked to your central, have him copy via windows explorer and open the file with the "detach from central" option checked.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you so much, this helps a lot.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

How frequently is the "external office" person going to work on the project? If he's going to be a major contributor to the project team, consider the following...

As people have stated before, working in the typical central file / local file configuration can be very time consuming, because of limitations in network bandwidth. Revit files tend to get large, and pushing / pulling data back and forth can really tax the network connection.

Here is another arrangement you may want to consider... Let's say the central file is hosted in Office A. Set up a spare computer in Office A, and create a local file on it.

The guy in Office B logs into VPN and remotely drives the spare computer in Office A. All of the CPU processing happens in Office A. All of the Local file / Central file transfers stay within the Office A network. The only data that passes outside the network are keyboard strokes, mouse clicks, and monitor display. Much lighter data.

There are downsides... I believe there is a limit to the resolution that can be expected / achieved. No one else can use the spare computer while the external guy is driving it.

But the bright side is, you don't have to wait 45 mins to save to central.

Discuss with your IT guy. Might be mileage there.

Bryan