Thread: Revit to Ecotect DXF file

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Revit to Ecotect DXF file

Hello All,

Was wondering how to properly export a Revit dxf file into Ecotect. It is my understanding from AU2008 class that I sat in on, is that you export from Revit a 2000 dxf version in order to bring it into Ecotect. The issue that I am having is when I import the dxf into Ecotect it is not bring the rooms that were created in Revit into the file. I have set my rooms in Revit so they read by volume and not by area, but I am still having an issue of getting them to convert into Ecotect. If anyone has any suggestions or knows how to properly going about doing this please give me some insight.

Thank you

Brandon Dorsey
    The Design Alliance Architects
    2400 HW Oliver Building
    535 Smithfield Street
    Pittsburgh, PA 15222
    Ph: (412) 261-0660
    Fx: (412) 261-7071
    www.tda-architects.com

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit to Ecotect DXF file

I can't help with DXF as haven't tried it but suggest you try gbxml instead. Export gbxml from Revit and, sorry from memory cant remember which, open/import in Ecotect.

Login to Give a bone

Try using gbXML export form Revit and then import the gbXML data inot Ecotect. This way room information is transferred along with the raw geometry.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    Try using gbXML export form Revit and then import the gbXML data inot Ecotect. This way room information is transferred along with the raw geometry.
    Hi, i am using the GBXML too. The rooms / zones come as they are in Revit. But windows doesnt come linked to the wall. I have to link all the windows later in Ecotect.
    Do you know if there is some trick to avoid that?
    In a large building with several windows this would be a very interestin trick,

I have tried many kinds of walls and windows, but allways the windows come at some distance from the wall, an unlinked.

Thanks

All AUGI, all the time kyle.bernhardt's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

That should be working with gbXML transfer in Ecotect. In Ecotect, goto File -> Open -> Select XML as the filetype -> Select your gbXML file.

From there, make sure that the "Import Only Surface Geometry" box is checked in the Import gbXML dialog. That will import the Analytical Shell geometry contained in the gbXML file.

Cheers,
    Kyle B
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Revit to Ecotect DXF file

Quote Originally Posted by kyle.bernhardt View Post
    That should be working with gbXML transfer in Ecotect. In Ecotect, goto File -> Open -> Select XML as the filetype -> Select your gbXML file.

From there, make sure that the "Import Only Surface Geometry" box is checked in the Import gbXML dialog. That will import the Analytical Shell geometry contained in the gbXML file.

Cheers,
    Kyle B
    Ehhhh, it works.
    Now all the windows are linked to their respective walls, and the zones are there too. This "import only geometry" option i thougt that didnt import the zones.

I was importing only the first floor, then linking the windows an then copying the seven floors (via wallpaper, in order to the different zones were copied too).
    Now the revit model is fully operative in ecotect, wow.

Thanks you very much.

Luis