Thread: Navisworks Avatar display issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Navisworks Avatar display issues

Hi -

We're currently running Navisworks 2009.1, and ever since the "autodesk' version of Navis has been available we've gotten some bizarre side effects when using 3rd person mode.

1 of 2 things happen consistantly.

1. The avatar appears as a blob, from what I've read, this is the actual shape Navis uses for collision detection, and the avatar is just a skin placed over the tip.

2. The avatar is displayed 100's of feet tall and out of proportional scale. I've checked the avatar files and opening them seperately shows what you'd expect to see. 5 views of the avatar at various crouch positions, and everything is displayed correctly.

It doesn't matter which model I use (Dummy, human1, human2, etc) It acts as if the path is broken for the avatar skin.

This has happened thruout our entire company (12 floating Navisworks licenses, approximately 50 users total.)

Any of the models that were created in v5.4 (and actively used for collison detection) show the avatar correctly, but changing the avatar has no effect, it still displayed the Human1 image regardless of what the view setup displays.

I've installed, reinstalled, and repaired the software enough to know it's not a corrupted version of the install, however I have not tried installing off of an original CD.

Has anyone else run across this? What was the solution?

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Navisworks Avatar display issues

Hi.
    The avatar can be a little querky. To fix the issues you are having, edit the view (right click on the view under viewpoints or just in the screen) and go to edit view. Click on collision detection settings, and make sure the avatar height and distance is correct. Generally I find one of two things. I am either sitting in his head and see his nostril and lips or I am looking at his um....lower back...or lower. For some reason in some files, the avatar comes in way out of proportion and I am wondering if it is a units issue or global settings type of thing. It is easy to fix though.

Best regards,
    Teresa

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa.Martin View Post
    Hi.
    The avatar can be a little querky. To fix the issues you are having, edit the view (right click on the view under viewpoints or just in the screen) and go to edit view. Click on collision detection settings, and make sure the avatar height and distance is correct. Generally I find one of two things. I am either sitting in his head and see his nostril and lips or I am looking at his um....lower back...or lower. For some reason in some files, the avatar comes in way out of proportion and I am wondering if it is a units issue or global settings type of thing. It is easy to fix though.

Best regards,
    Teresa
    This worked, thank you very much. I noticed that the right click viewpoints had different avatar information than going Global Options > Interface > Viewpoint Defaults >Collision Detection. Seems like a bug.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Not a bug, the global options shows the default avatar settings. You can override the default avatar settings by changing them in the viewpoint.