Thread: On the Revit Side of FM [FMDesktop]

Login to Give a bone

Default On the Revit Side of FM [FMDesktop]

I am looking into implementing the FMDesktop suite of products to improve efficiencies of managing multiple tenant build outs. We are architects, our client is a large developer with many properties. My question has to do with the Revit side. How does one go about setting up a model to reflect different tenants in a single building? For instance, door and room number generation is cumulative, but what I really need is each tenant to generate unique information, not effected by the numbering of other tenant spaces within the model. What I really need is to have multiple independent drawing sets, one for each tenant, based on the one model. Linking in revit brings with it another set of issues. Hope that makes sense. Being that I haven't used FMDesktop, maybe I am overlooking something. Any insights would help. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: On the Revit Side of FM [FMDesktop]

I have to admit that I'm not sure how Revit talks to FMDesktop in specifics, since I used it with AutoCAD Architecture.

I did just want to chime in with some grain from the rumor mill... there was an FMD service provider posting on the Autodesk FM Discussion Groups about a rumor that FMDesktop will be discontinued (although some folks have speculated that maybe it's main features could be rolled into another product)... so I'd really hesitate myself to encourage people to invest it in right now until Autodesk makes a public announcement about future releases of FM-geared tools.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jrosenwald View Post
    I am looking into implementing the FMDesktop suite of products to improve efficiencies of managing multiple tenant build outs. We are architects, our client is a large developer with many properties. My question has to do with the Revit side. How does one go about setting up a model to reflect different tenants in a single building? For instance, door and room number generation is cumulative, but what I really need is each tenant to generate unique information, not effected by the numbering of other tenant spaces within the model. What I really need is to have multiple independent drawing sets, one for each tenant, based on the one model. Linking in revit brings with it another set of issues. Hope that makes sense. Being that I haven't used FMDesktop, maybe I am overlooking something. Any insights would help. Thanks!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: On the Revit Side of FM [FMDesktop]

Thanks for the heads up Wanderer.

I have done a little research, and believe Revit will do the trick out of the box. Its a matter of links and worksets. I can tag and schedule in each tenants drawing individually, and compile these links to make a space plan of the overall building.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: On the Revit Side of FM [FMDesktop]

Quote Originally Posted by jrosenwald View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Wanderer.

I have done a little research, and believe Revit will do the trick out of the box. Its a matter of links and worksets. I can tag and schedule in each tenants drawing individually, and compile these links to make a space plan of the overall building.
    No problem.

Okay. If that is working well for you, I do hope you'll post back with a report (well, also if it doesn't work).

I was reading this thread in the Revit Architecture group on the Autodesk forums about something called Area Schemes, and I wasn't sure if that might help out as well in some manner?

Cheers!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost