See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Frustrated

Is there a forum I can go to, to vent my frustration I have bubbling away inside me about all the other CAD users?
    In my office, most CAD users generally appear to have absolutely no idea how to maintain office CAD standards, and quite often don't seem to care much either. Most of these people are younger engineers (dare I say: "Gen Y"), who in my opinion should be sticking to engineering and shouldn't be going within a hundred miles of AutoCAD. ("It's MY JOB to do the drawings, NOT YOURS....you go away and do the effing engineering calcs / talk to the client etc etc"!!!!).
    Frustration number one for me has to be the one where the young person has decided that he/she can't fit the text in because the drawing is too conjested where it needs to go, so rather than re-arrange things, what do they do? They reduce the size of it of course! So now what do we have? We have a note on a drawing which, when you print it out to its' proper size, is so effing small that you need an effing magnifying glass to read it!!! Pure goddam lazyness, that's what it is.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Frustrated

So this person needs an event handler that will always return text to its proper height. That's fix 'em! ;^)
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.crowhurst View Post
    Is there a forum I can go to, to vent my frustration I have bubbling away inside me about all the other CAD users?
    In my office, most CAD users generally appear to have absolutely no idea how to maintain office CAD standards, and quite often don't seem to care much either. Most of these people are younger engineers (dare I say: "Gen Y"), who in my opinion should be sticking to engineering and shouldn't be going within a hundred miles of AutoCAD. ("It's MY JOB to do the drawings, NOT YOURS....you go away and do the effing engineering calcs / talk to the client etc etc"!!!!).
    Frustration number one for me has to be the one where the young person has decided that he/she can't fit the text in because the drawing is too conjested where it needs to go, so rather than re-arrange things, what do they do? They reduce the size of it of course! So now what do we have? We have a note on a drawing which, when you print it out to its' proper size, is so effing small that you need an effing magnifying glass to read it!!! Pure goddam lazyness, that's what it is.
    I think I'd subscribe to such a thread...could be entertaining LOL! As far as posting such gripes, I might have to disguise myself since some of my fellow CAD users frequent these threads too...wouldn't want them to know I was talking about them he-he

All AUGI, all the time gfreddog's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

LOL I can diffidently identify with you on that one... I have a guy that figures since viewports can be scaled I'll scale it to fit everything in model space. So Paperspace looks fine till you plot!

Try this forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gfreddog View Post
    LOL I can diffidently identify with you on that one... I have a guy that figures since viewports can be scaled I'll scale it to fit everything in model space. So Paperspace looks fine till you plot!

Try this forum
    Ouch! I checked it out, but 483 pages and counting?!??!? I'm afraid to subscribe to that one, it'll probably fill my Inbox lol!
    Last edited by Misteracad; 2009-01-30 at 04:59 PM. Reason: reword

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Misteracad View Post
    Ouch! I checked it out, but 483 pages and counting?!??!? I'm afraid to subscribe to that one, it'll probably fill my Inbox lol!
    You don't have to subscribe - just pop in every now and then and read - and post!

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Frustrated

How about the guys who think they can just change all the standards because its easier for them and then they save the drawing under whatever name...whereever!! Really helps me later when the boss wants that drawing and I can't find it!! Leave the friggin' drawing up to ME.....

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Frustrated

The more you can automate it, the harder it will be for them to screw it up...

I created LISP routine from that redefines every text command (including all shortcuts) to size the text according to the current dimscale for modelspace, and only one size is permitted for paperspace. I can't tell you how many calls I get from former employees that have moved on, only to discover that they have no clue how to properly size text since they never had to do it here.

And when all else fails, my catholic school upringing taught me that a little public shame and forced humility can be very effective tools in modifying undesireable behavior.

Good Luck!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jes View Post
    I created LISP routine from that redefines every text command (including all shortcuts) to size the text according to the current dimscale for modelspace, and only one size is permitted for paperspace. I can't tell you how many calls I get from former employees that have moved on, only to discover that they have no clue how to properly size text since they never had to do it here.
    Maybe getting a little off topic here, but this is precisely why I stray away from adding too much automation in the workplace these days. We acquired an entire office of so-called good CAD users who were spoon fed for so long that doing nothing more than upgrading them from 2004 to 2006 threw a major wrench into their entire workflow, and we're still struggling to teach them very basic AutoCAD skills so that they won't need so much babysitting!

Automation is good in many ways--I won't argue that fact--but when the users are unaware that the version of CAD that they have grown so dependent on is actually a highly-modified form that looks and acts very little like the OOTB software, it can be considered by some as a disservice to those users who will have no idea what they are doing at their next firm. I suppose this is a classic example of the double-edge sword

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ShomperPAUG View Post
    The more you can automate it, the harder it will be for them to screw it up...

And when all else fails, my catholic school upringing taught me that a little public shame and forced humility can be very effective tools in modifying undesireable behavior.

Good Luck!
    thats the truth right there, once you standardize and automate you can force out the cowboy's, TAKES YEARS to do that though. We don't get many cowboys or cowgirls here because we weed them out, typically during the interviewing "process" and get topped by management once in a while. In the end, we get our glory though because cowboys don't work in our system, if you don't work in our system... .you don't work here.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast