See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Frustrated

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Statler View Post
    I think in this case its important to raise your point with the line manager and move on up the command chain if you get little response.

If you have agreed the drawing standards with the client then they may think you are responsible for the drawings not meeting them, in this country Engineering is a very small world you have to protect your A..

Most clients judge a company by the drawings produced and not the contract documents, pages of design calcs etc it's about time consultancies realised the importance of this and made the CAD manager associate level so he can kick butt if necessary. I have worked for a few places that have done this and the whole office runs smoother.
    My line manager tried to do this on our offices behalf.. but things are quite erm... political these days. I dont want to go into it any further than that just in case... but I agree 100% with your thoughts on this.

Login to Give a bone

I'm glad to say that I had to learn how to pencil draw, long before I ever touched a seat of CAD. Standards are meant to be just that, a Standard, in which all people should conform. We should always try to excel in everything we do, and the drawings we put out have a direct relationship to who we are. In a lot of cases I've seen, many people no longer take pride in their work, and in todays economy, you better know your stuff and continue to learn daily.

PS I have also used the Proverbial Slide Rule, T-Square and Triangles. Lets not forget the #2 and #4 and the old HB.

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I find it difficult to get good CAD training because each discipline drafts so differently. There are the basic functions to operating CAD but OPERATING and DRAFTING are 2 completely different definitions.

Drafting is an ART with basic principles or standards that differ from industry to industry.

You can be a greenhorn operator and become a Drafter, but drafters differ in and of themselves depending on background and area of expertise.

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by 03xtreme View Post
    Drafting is an ART...
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Anyone can use CAD but to produce a drawing that is totally diferent.

I am a chief drafter and my apprentices are now producing drawings NOT lines, arcs and circles. It has taken a bit of time to get them to think about what the purpose and intent of the drawing is before they start CADing it up.

Sure there are a lot of courses to teach CAD software but not how to draft. Even with all the CAD and drafting standards with automation and custom CAD interface it does not mean the person will produce a drawing 'fit for purpose'.

For those of you who get frustrated with fellow drafters and engineers that don't follow CAD or drafting standards just don't worry about what they are doing just what you are doing. As long as you can be proud of the drawing you produce who cares what they do.

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I realized that for me, the point at which I could visualize the output on the first or second print that I was comfortable with a set of standards or guidelines.

I like guidelines better than standards because of the flexibility. A standard is allows you to find things and understand drawings quickly, but a guideline takes the standard and adds flexibility.

I've found that strict standards are counterproductive and dissallow creativity and artistic CAD work....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rguterres View Post
    For those of you who get frustrated with fellow drafters and engineers that don't follow CAD or drafting standards just don't worry about what they are doing just what you are doing. As long as you can be proud of the drawing you produce who cares what they do.
    Yea right….

Sooner or latter I end up having to work on those Carp drawings!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

"Gen Y" lol all I have to say is I feel your pain and make a short little comment that I believe everyone would appreciate. This one comment sums up the people we are talking about...

Root Directory, Layer 0

Last edited by Jeff Meyer; 2009-07-31 at 09:48 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345