Thread: Multiple computers with same username

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Multiple computers with same username

I know this seems like a weird question, but has anyone tried using the same username on multiple computers? The reason I ask is because I am trying to figure out a way to give access to a group of users for specific worksets, but lock them out of others. Example I would like to lock Arch people from moving MEP items and vice versa. One thought I had was giving ownership of worksets, but that goes by username. So what if more than 1 computer had the same username? How would editing requests work, etc?

Anybody tested this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiple computers with same username

You do NOT want to use the same user name, if they will be working concurrently in the model. It will cause all sorts of errors, because the central file will not know how to reconcile differences.

Other than that I cannot help you with the best way to manage everyone sharing one model. Have you thought about creating a separate MEP model that is just linked into the architectural model? Personally I do not see why you would want to clutter the mechanical model with architectural families. etc...

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Login to Give a bone

I know you shouldn't do this, but like many things in Revit not sure if it is a recommendation just because or if there is actual documented problems that happen. Like you, I know the theoretical problems, but I have never tried it. So I was wondering if someone did this even if by accident. We follow the "rules" so to speak here, but sometimes breaking the rules is the best thing for Revit. =)

As far as having a separate MEP model. We did that on our last project and found a lot of problems with lights, diffusers, outlets, etc. So we want to see if we like the workflow better as one model. Obviousily it solves some problems, but creates others. So just trying to weigh out pros and cons.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by james.klatt View Post
    I know you shouldn't do this, but like many things in Revit not sure if it is a recommendation just because or if there is actual documented problems that happen. Like you, I know the theoretical problems, but I have never tried it. So I was wondering if someone did this even if by accident. We follow the "rules" so to speak here, but sometimes breaking the rules is the best thing for Revit. =)
    We have accidentally done it when we were performing an in house training session with laptops setup in a conference room. Because the software was installed by one of our IT guys all the machines were logged on under his name and therefore all the usernames were his. When we starting trying to save to central it through all sorts of errors, that wouldn't let us save to central.

Either way you can verify it yourself by creating a new project and then creating a couple of local files, and then opening two copies of revit on your machine. Use the same user name and see what happens.

Another reason that I would not recommend this even if we had been able to make it work is that then the worksharing monitor is useless, which I use to make sure no ones jumps in the central file by accident... (happens more than you think).

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I knew I could test it, but thought it'd be better to ask. Because by the odd chance I had no problems for 10 min I would have assumed it worked. Then done it on a project and had to deal with the problems down the road.

Thanks for the response.

Login to Give a bone

I had serious issues with computers using the same user names.
    The guys just keep complaining that the requests were plaguing them.

I would recommend the linked files workflow because:
    - project organization is easier (project browser, visibility settings*, etc...)
    - performance (smaller model, linked models eat less RAM, less concurent saves to the central, etc.)

* everytime a new workset is created, it would show up in all views; of course it can be fixed using templates and filters, but you are just adding complexity to an already challenging workflow.